Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
What Is your line of Choice for spinning gear and Why? Options
D BigTuna
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:07:40 PM

So for stream trout fishing what is you favorite line. Some of you guys pulling those hogs (Mark and Len), are you using super lines?I have found a line Transoptic by Trilene. Its gold above the water and clear underneath. Helps for line watching and tying knots. It is really super strong as my friends watched me pull a log across and out of the stream last year. I will say in cold conditions (6lb test below 45) It is not very limber. Line wants to jump off the reel. I use the super small Pflueger President and it has a tiny spool so thats part of the problem. Now days with so many choices just curious if anyone has found something great. I do like Power pro but tying knots is a real pain.I also feel that a line really needs to break at some point if your snagged. Power pro can take a tree, roots and all, and cut your hands if your not careful. I put new line on ever third trip if I'm fishing mono but power pro is good all year.
So lets hear it , what your favorite and why?
inland sweep
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:24:24 PM

The only line that I use it P-Line.
For the smaller streams I will use 4 pound P-line
When looking for larger fish I will use 6 pound and sometimes 8.

I really like p-line it is very tough even with 4 pound line I never worry about it breaking even with a large fish on. Up on lake Puckaway I fish for big pike using my trout rod and never have an issue with 4 pound line. I use it on my Presidents and it works great with the small diameter.
Trout_Patzer
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:47:31 PM

Power Pro all the way! No memory, never have to worry about it breaking off, casts a mile and is much rounder than other braids which means it sits nicely on the spool. Like other braids it also floats on top of the water so you can use it like an indicator if fishing bait, you can actually see the line start sifting out when you have a nibble. Don't use it in the winter though as it freezes up. I use the 8lb line but I recently saw it in 2 and 4lb test. That would make breaking off snags more manageable. However at those diameters you might need 500 yds to fill a spool.Flapper
I have 14lb Fireline on another reel and I really don't like it at all. It is flat like a ribbon and doesn't stay on the spool well at all. Forget precision casting with that stuff in any kind of wind. Perhaps better suited for the lake.
Trouts
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:02:27 PM

I will second the power pro. I particularly like the fact that it has no memory. I feel like it get better hook sets as well as the increased sensitivity.

"Artificial lures only: Fly fishing's version of segregation."

mmalyuk
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:22:46 AM

On my ultralight I use P-Line Fluorocarbon 6 lb. test. Strong, invisible, and no stretch.

For big brown setup I have used the following three, either berkley fireline crystal in 6 lb diameter 14lb test, Spiderwire stealth braid 6lb diameter 20 test, and Power pro 6lb diameter in 20 lb test. Tighten your drag and you can keep the fish away from obstructions and not have to worry about you line snapping. I have straightened hooks and pulled up trees with these lines. Most likely will not use fireline after my spool is out because it frays after awhile and doesn't cast as far as the other two but is very strong. I would also recommend palomar knots for superlines.
ted4887
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:54:41 PM

P-line for me on my ul.

Anyone bit the bullet, or plan on biting it, on the new suffix 832 yet? It's going on at least one of my baitcasters, but was curious if anyone has tried it on the streams yet.
D BigTuna
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:36:12 AM

Got some P -line coming in the mail.I'll let you know how it works.
Mark Dahlquist
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:01:18 AM

Power Pro. I've been using 10 lb. Fish don't seem to notice it. Walmart only seems to sell 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 - 50. So 10 is the smallest I find. I think 8 lb would be OK too. I also have another spool of 6 lb mono I used for brookies the other day. Why such strong line? I'll bend a hook before the line breaks. I can be a real hack sometimes. 10 lb withstands my abuse. Plus I can set drag pretty stiff and muscle big fish away from undercut banks, logs, anything that fish could get hung up on.

Oh braided SpiderWire or any other braided brand likely OK too. IMO with Power Pro the braid smoother, retains less water during those close to 30 degree days. Does not rope up with ice as easily as other braids. Winter time well below 30 though forget braided.
Catch and release into hot grease.
D BigTuna
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:30:06 AM

I was a power pro guy. Just went away from it when I found trans optic.Power pro for ice fishing is good stuff. I cant tie knots with power pro and seems like I always forget the old reading glasses. I never had a problem with fish seeing it either. I'm Always looking for something new.
D BigTuna
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:37:21 AM

Put 4 lb P line on today and it worked great. Looking forward to using it.