Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:36:18 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hello everyone, MN statewide/harvest season ends today and I was on a mission from my Nepalis friend to catch them a Minnesotan trout. So this Saturday I decided to hit a small brook trout stream on the MN side of La Croix, I choose this stream as it had a strong population of bookies, was hard to access and I was skunked there once.
The last time I was there I fished two sections, the lower and the upper, both sections are wildly different, and I fished them with only a tenkara rod when I should've used spinners. That was my first year trout fishing and now that it's the end of my third I'm a little smarter Laugh
Since I saw trout in the upper section that's where I started. It is public land and is very marshy, the last time I went was in the spring, but now in the fall the water was much lower and had many more weeds. I only manage to briefly hook a small one before I came to the point in a stream where it disappeared into a culvert. Google maps had lied to me. I tried one of the larger tributaries, where I did once catch a brook trout minnow, but alas no trout were to be had.
Morale was low at this point as it was a 2 hour drive, getting late, and I had no fish to hand. I decided to try the lower section, in town where I had seen a very small brookie.
There was a small pond, then a little water fall and some deep water so I tried there first and BAM a nice colored up brookie.
UserPostedImage
in the net and then in hand.
UserPostedImage
They are such beautiful fish.
The brookie lucked out as he was to small to eat so I moved up stream where I came across a longer but shallower pool, after seeing a decent brookie swipe at it a few times I finally hooked into this beauty.
UserPostedImage
Not as colored up but still beautiful.
He did make the cut and was harvested, now that the pressure was off I could start having fun, I continued to fish up stream catching a few smaller one and missing a large one under a log when I came to the road, After crawling through the tunnel beneath the road and stepping into the stream proper I promptly stepped where a nice brookie was hiding and spooked the little pool. The stream was small enough that the scared ones kept swimming up stream scaring more. There was a nice pool up ahead and luckily none spooked there. The pool was blocked by a nice size fallen tree that made going under it impossible, and over it difficult as it had many branches. Being private land I couldn't touch land. I managed to crawl on the log and take a few casts balancing on it. After a few nice sized brookies missed it and let me watch them in the pool miss or ignore my lure, I finally managed a cast around the corner and got my trout of the day.
UserPostedImage
A beautiful colored up male, pictures don't do justice, If you look above my mid thumb he was hiding under the grass.
I moved upstream and caught a few more until the stream changed into a high gradient with bed rock for the bottom. The valley it was in was beautiful and there were many small falls. Not many had pools under them as I believe the bed rock here is much hardier than the limestone in the driftless.
UserPostedImage
heres one that didn't
UserPostedImage
Here is a picture of one that had a pool, only about 10 inches deep though. I was surprised at the amount of trout I saw and caught, in any water that had depth or cover a brookie was there in the fast current. This part of the stream always makes me imagine if this is what those small Appalachian streams are like.
I finally came to the falls that seperated the two portions and gave a cast on the small pool below it and got the last fish of the day
UserPostedImage
Small but fiesty, I ended the day by getting some icecream at the local shop. It was a beautiful last day of the regular season. But now all my attention has shifted to the driftless, I am already drawing up plans for the next week, my goals are to get personal best for both fish, 12+ for a brookie and 18+ or 20 for a brown. Wish me luck and happy fishing!

Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 5:08:40 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Great photos. Good luck on your trip to the Driftless.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
thanks 1 user thanked WI-fly for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 10/1/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 11:39:44 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

This one is a stunner.

Nice report and looks like a cool little stream.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 10/2/2019(UTC)
AKinMN  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 11:55:05 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The Minnesota Harvest season ended September 15th. Catch and Release 9/16-10/15. You were poaching if you kept fish 9/30 in MN. Don't think I'd be sharing that on the interwebs, but hey that's just me.
MN Driftless  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 1:33:16 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Unless this report is from Lake Superior: https://files.dnr.state....t&pagemode=bookmarks

See page 28.

Those are beautiful trout. Not sure I could kill it just for the sake of eating it. But if it was taken legally, to each their own.
shebs  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:06:11 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
The harvest season runs thru Sept 30 statewide, except for the SE counties. He followed the law as long as this was north of Dakota county or above a barrier on a superior trib.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 3:00:43 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Nice job, glad you got some fish. That stream has some truly stunning fish.

Not trying to be a dick, but that stream is very fragmented and very fragile. I know exactly where you are. You started by the minnow farm and started catching fish near the old cabin and the tavern.

That creek only has about 200 adults/mile. There’s also been some talk that those fish just might be heritage Brookies.

Please be very, very selective if you’re gonna take some fish out of there. If you want some fish, go take some Browns out of that creek we’ve talked about to the south.

Beautiful Brookies👍
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 3:03:07 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post
The Minnesota Harvest season ended September 15th. Catch and Release 9/16-10/15. You were poaching if you kept fish 9/30 in MN. Don't think I'd be sharing that on the interwebs, but hey that's just me.

There’s a world outside of the SE corner dude...🤦‍♂️

I’m not thrilled he kept fish in this creek, but he’s absolutely legal.

If you’re gonna call someone out, maybe be on top of your regs...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
AKinMN  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 3:33:09 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
There’s a world outside of the SE corner dude...🤦‍♂️

Not to me unless we're talking out West.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 1, 2019 3:34:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:00:43 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Ok, I’ll kept catching big Brook Trout on wading trips, and you can catch invasives out of drift boats. To each their own I guess...
thanks 3 users thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
SquareEgg on 10/1/2019(UTC), MN Driftless on 10/2/2019(UTC), trapper on 10/4/2019(UTC)