Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Z4c64  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 5:39:26 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I recently found out that there is a small area East of Lake Wisconsin that is considered the Driftless Area. The area is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from home, about the same as the Central Sands region's closest streams to home.

On Monday I will try between 1 and 3 of the listed streams in that area. Today I did a scouting trip and checked out the obvious access points. Some had a path to the stream and others did not, indicating how recently the area had been used.

Are there any obvious area I should avoid while out there? (I know deerflies will be bad for sure ). I've tried to scout ahead, and look forward to the thrill of discovering some "new" (to me) water. Thank you.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 6:07:57 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Those streams do have Trout. Parts of Rowan are Class I water. The problem in that area is the ground can be swampy and the creeks in places are too mucky to wade. Worth a look but may take a bit of effort.

Better and more productive streams can be found west and south-west of Madison, some within a 30 minute drive. Iowa and Grant counties have some really nice Trout streams. The further west and north you go (towards Viroqua) the better and more frequent good Trout water becomes.

Half the experience is exploring and discovering new places. In the August heat, better to fish early and late.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Z4c64 on 8/3/2019(UTC)
Commish78  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 6:43:53 PM(UTC)
Commish78

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sent you a PM
thanks 1 user thanked Commish78 for this useful post.
Z4c64 on 8/3/2019(UTC)
Z4c64  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2019 7:24:03 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

Thank you guys. I was a little worried about the muck. I had read about muck farming going on upstream on Hinckson. We will just drive from access to access until we find some place where we can wade. Like Bill said, that is the fun of discovery.

Edited by user Saturday, August 3, 2019 7:49:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Z4c64  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 9:30:06 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

We hit Rowan today in 3 different areas. The water was really quite cold at 54.5 degrees which impressed me. It was also very high, which surprised me. We fished about 4. 1/2 hours and caught 3 browns and 2 rainbow trout. We also lost several others that we think were browns.

I'm sure we could have done better, but given that the fish were not very aggressive, we are satisfied with the results.

It looks like an interesting creek. Some very tight quarters and it was very difficult to cast in 2 of the 3 sections. I would say that if you were not perfect, the cast would hang in weeds, trees or just grass on the bank or over hanging the bank.

Unfortunately, there was a bumper crop of Wild Parsnip all along most areas of the creek and some over hanging Burning Nettle got me in the left arm while I was unaware that it was there until my arm started to tingle.

I'm not sure it is worth the 90 minute drive to get there for me, but if I had no other trout stream it would be nice to have nearby. I'm guessing that it would be much easier to fish earlier in the season, when it is not cloudy and when it is not 87 degrees outside. However, the water was cold in all 3 areas we fished and there was Angelica plants on shore often enough to indicate spring activity near the stream bank and possibly under the stream bed.

We did not fish Hinckson or Rocky Run.

Thank you for those who offered help. It is much appreciated.

Edited by user Monday, August 5, 2019 9:31:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified