Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 12:41:32 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Here's a place to share non-trout fish pics and shorter reports if you don't want to start a new thread.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 12:41:54 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Got my first bass of the year last night!

UserPostedImage

Laugh

Was excited on the strike and then was wondering if I still had a fish on or if it was a bluegill. I laughed when I got him in.

Got out about 8:00 on a bass/gill pond near my home and was fishing from shore and nothing doing (on assorted lures) till right about dusk and then they moved into the shallows and it was steady-ish for about 45 minutes.

9 or 10 strikes on a Hula Popper, all within 15 feet of shore in .5 to 2 feet of water.

Hooked up with 5 and landed 4. The biggest one was a good fight and he got off about 2 feet from being landed when he kicked off the shallow bottom and spit the hook.

Got a couple chunkers like this one though…

UserPostedImage

Couldn't figure out my flash and don't really care other than providing evidence that I'm not just making shit up. Flapper Laugh

Was interesting fishing top water when I could no longer see my Popper. Been waiting since maybe September to do TW again and this did not disappoint.

Fun little outing.

Edited by user Friday, May 24, 2019 1:04:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Pete  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 6:53:53 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Sorry, no picture: my phone got balky-vibrating icons, couldn't open camera-when I had the fish posed for a photo.

Definitely not a trout outing. After the first period of the St. Louis v. Boston game on Saturday, I went out to make a few casts. There is much better water not too far away, but I wanted to spend time fishing and not driving, so I picked a little retention pond down the street. It's produced fish in the past and has a reputation for the occasional big bass. It was already dark when I got there, but there were a lot of signs of life: bullfrogs, songbirds diving at me (they must have had nests nearby). I saw a big wake from something swimming just under the surface, moving in and out of some cattails. I cast a black streamer in its direction, hoping I wasn't about to hook a mink or cormorant. It hit almost immediately and obviously wasn't a bass. Now I wondered how I was going to unhook a pike or something in the dark with no net, no boga grips, no nothing. I eventually got it to shore and it was a good-sized channel cat, 19 inches-the biggest I ever caught on a fly. I was able to avoid the spines and get the fish back in the water after the camera failure. Only thing that would've made the night better would have been a Blues' loss :-)
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 7:15:11 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I just brought up my bass rig from my place in Lincolnshire, so I guess it's time to get started!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Hoggies  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 7:16:47 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I took my daughter to Chester Woods reservoir outside Rochester yesterday. We had limited time, and the boat launch was a freaking nightmare, so we found a spot to fish off shore. We managed to find a big school of bluegills in a small bay and a got a couple decent (around 2-3 lbs) bonus larrys. Watching a 7 year old horse in a 2lb bass on a 4' UL Mr crappie rod is awesome.
snbrd4evr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:43:19 AM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
UserPostedImage
First bass of the year. Caught on an absolutely monstrous chuck and duck... I think it was a 1/0 size articulated.

UserPostedImage
It was the olive one in the lower right.

UserPostedImage
Although, it's a bit sad I didn't find the smallie from the same lake a couple years later. This one measured just under 21" (I'm 6'4" btw so not a small guy).
EddieRivard  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 1:05:59 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Well I guess I could share a few pics. I haven't been able to get out as much as I would have liked to this year but I still have managed a couple of nice specimens.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
ThumpUp
thanks 1 user thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 6/6/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 1:38:15 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Eddie, those flies are bigger than most of the fish I catch. Is it a standard pattern or something you came up with on your own. The large predator fish sure seem to like it.
EddieRivard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:02:44 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
It’s basically a Buford pattern tied on a custom 2” shank of .06 wire. I attach a size 3/0 Eagle Claw 374 treble hook to the end with a split ring. I turn the treble hook into a double hook by cutting off one of the hooks. It has an increased hooking percentage over a single hook fly while still giving the fish a “chance”.
thanks 1 user thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
Pete on 6/5/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 1:55:39 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 177 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Those are some sweet looking fish Eddie! That's an impressive lure you're tossing. Looks like something they use for salt water fish.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos