Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZP6  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:19:12 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

I'm taking a trip out to Missoula, Montana mid June and was wondering if anyone on here could give me a few tips or areas they've enjoyed in the past. I know there are miles and miles of streams to explore but thought I would ask.

Are there any guides out there for a float trip that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Sponsor
AKinMN  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:01:01 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
On of my favorite places on Earth. Much better than the Big Horn or Brozeman areas where everyone from the mid-west seems to go, IMO. I just spent a week there the end of April. Mid-June run-off is likely to still be going. That will be a big factor in what's fishable. Clarkfork, Blackfoot, Bitteroot, and Rock Creek are the main rivers. That's right around the time the salmon flies hatch. That can be amazing on Rock Creek depending on run-off. The Missouri is only a couple hours away and that's a great time on that river as well, but it will be busy if run-off is on. Plenty of great outfitters and guides out there. In Missoula, I'd recommend:

http://www.flyfishmissoula.com/

On the Mo'

http://www.troutmontana.com/river or https://www.headhuntersflyshop.com/

Edited by user Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:01:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SquareEgg  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:24:27 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've only fished Rock Creek on a "driving through the area" basis, but I'll always recommend it to anyone planning to be around Missoula. From what I remember there are quite a number of car-campsites along Rock Creek rd for a small fee. Rock Creek Fisherman's Mercantile is a cool shop right on the river- good for last minute or spare camping essentials along with the usual flyshop goods.
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 3:46:21 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Second Rock Creek but that's on a very brief exposure perspective. There's all sorts of water out there and last I knew their access laws are less strict than here.

Missoula is where I would pick to live for that kind of access, vs. Denver or other areas where it seems like the entire city is fishing in the same place.
ZP6  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 11:15:21 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Thanks for the info guys. So many different rivers and places to fish that I'm having a hard time trying to narrow down where to go....not a bad problem to have!