Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 10:40:19 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I prefer brookies, but there are a few places where I won't harvest them due to competition with browns - in those places I'll take a limit of the browns every chance I get. But with enough butter, even fresh stocker bows are totally edible LOL
Browns are just fine if they're from good, clean, cold water, like brevitz says. If the creek has brookies, odds are the browns will be plenty good. Keep smaller ones, and they're even better.
I usually wade when I fish, so I just tie a stringer to my pack and keep the fish alive as long as possible. This keeps them cool too, so even if they don't survive the day, they're not rotting in the hot sun. Probably not the nicest way to treat the fish, but if I didn't want to hurt any fish, I wouldn't go around putting hooks in their face.
When I do campground cooking, I usually just have my mini weber, so I gut the fish, put some salt, pepper, minced garlic, and lemon slices in the cavity, wrap in tinfoil, and throw it on the grill. Cooks in 5 to 10 minutes, depending on size, and if you get distracted, the tinfoil locks in the juices so it won't dry out if you leave it on there for 15. I prefer to smoke them, but if I'm camping, that's not in the cards.
Stan is right though - nothing beats a smoked steelie (except maybe a smoked coho).
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
Smis on 5/3/2019(UTC)