Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:23:39 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a small 8ft - 10ft fishing kayak that would work well on some of the larger driftless streams, Root, Zumbro, Cannon and some lakes. I would plan on wading in shallower water and kayaking in the deeper runs I'm not looking for anything fancy or expensive but just a budget kayak that will hold a couple of rods, some space for a tackle bag and some water. I have been looking online but i'm not convinced I need a $500 kayak with all the bells and whistles to catch fish. Any recommendations would be great, Thanks!
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:02:14 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I guide on a Lifetime Angler on the Pine River in Richland County in WI.
Fairly stable at 30 inches wide and ten feet long. Wally world has them for under $300 with tax including a cheap paddle. Gets you on the water.
Lifetime is a great company and made in usa.
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 4/24/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:39:07 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I got a cheapie at F&F and it suits my needs. I think it was $200-ish on sale. You can see what it looks like in the "New Toy" thread herein.

I don't doubt that a better yak would be… well… better.

Having never used one, I don't know any different and have gotten used to mine.

Grabbed a second one on C-List that is slightly more expensive retail (at Dick's). My wife uses that one or a buddy if someone goes fishing with me.

I don't like trying to fish from it in a current. There's an anchor setup that I want to buy but haven't gotten to yet. Maybe that will help.

Mostly I use it on ponds and small lakes to fish for bass and pike.

Have been thinking about taking it out where I ice fish and dangling waxies for gills. I see people there lining the banks fishing for them every day, but no one out on the water.

Would have to give up a morning of trouting though and that's unlikely to happen.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 4/24/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:51:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Actually... here are both of mine in one shot.

UserPostedImage

I still use the tan one even though the other one is more spendy.
Pete  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:29:59 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Actually... here are both of mine in one shot.

UserPostedImage

I still use the tan one even though the other one is more spendy.

Just curious: how would you describe the differences between the two? The tan one is wider: is it noticeably more stable? Are they similar to fish from or are there any big differences?
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:12:14 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

There is a little forced perspective in that photo as the tan one is closer to the lens, but yes, the tan one is wider or slightly more football shaped.

The blue one tracks slightly better and is slightly more wobbly. Obviously therefore, the tan one is slightly more stable and doesn't track as well.

I don't find either of those issue to be very important and could easily adjust to either for what I'm using them for. I'm not a distance paddler other than getting back to my put-in, so tracking isn't a big concern and you learn to counter paddle when needed, which is mostly when you are coasting to a stopping point to cast..

I like the tan one's width simply for being less cramped. It's an adjustment fishing from such a tight space and I was surprised at just how little room there is in the cab (?) to futz around. First time I went out, I tried to take a decent sized Plano tackle box along… yeah… not a good idea.

Bought a little double decker one that works great and holds what I need if I pack smart.

The rod holders are essential too if you want to bring along a second rod and/or net. I've even had 3 rods along with a net and just keep one under me and straight out the front.

Careful on the back cast though with a rod there. I've gotten mine a couple times and even lost both lures once doing that. Snapped the static one off and sent the casted one straight up in the air to land about 10 feet behind the yak lol.

Haven't tipped yet and the closest I came was reaching behind me to untangle a back cast from the other rod.

I know that some yak fishers will stand in their yaks to cast. I haven't tried that (and won't) and assume they are doing that in higher end models.

Finally – bought a shoulder strap that is designed for paddleboards but works great for a yak and really helps when I have to portage any distance. Well worth the $20.

I have a trout trip next week leading into the opener, so probably can't get out in the yak that weekend unless I get a divorce first (or after) but can't wait to float fish maybe/hopefully the following weekend.

Feeling the need to change it up a bit and catch something else.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:43:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Pete on 4/24/2019(UTC)
billybigbilly  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:47:59 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Thank you Trapper and Gurth, I think I'll try a sit on top model since they way I plan on fishing is getting in and out of the yak often. I want to try for smallies and some larger water trout to so I think it will open up a nice set of possibilities.
Gurth  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 12:39:01 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

My buddy has a flat fishing yak and the only thing I'd warn about is that many of them have holes that allow water to pass vertically through the hull. I'm guessing these are needed for stability.

Well his pack and other stuff gets wet due to this and it irks him.

So if you get one and it has these holes, you may also need waterproof packs depending on how the storage is set up.
billybigbilly  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:04:35 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
My buddy has a flat fishing yak and the only thing I'd warn about is that many of them have holes that allow water to pass vertically through the hull. I'm guessing these are needed for stability.

Well his pack and other stuff gets wet due to this and it irks him.

So if you get one and it has these holes, you may also need waterproof packs depending on how the storage is set up.

Yeah I heard its to drain water as well, and I feel like it wont bother me as much, thank you though. I think I will try for a 8 or 10 ft siton top kayak with some rod holders and a paddle of course!