Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skiumah  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:10:53 AM(UTC)
skiumah

Two people to be exact; I was lucky enough to share the river with them this evening. Just me and them.

They were even kind enough to leave me 30 yards of their river to fish after crossing right above the run I was fishing.

Here they are:

evening on the rush

Edited by user Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:15:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:28:37 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Do they own the bank too, or are they both assholes AND trespassers?

I fuckin hate fishing the rush. I always seem to get high holed by someone.

Once had a couple guys literally park me in, cross the stream 50 yards ahead of me, and then get annoyed when I caught up to them, like I was the asshole.

There are like 15 bridges...if you see a car, drive to the next one. Sheesh.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:13:16 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
I’m always so glad that I primarily fish the places I get to.

Out well over 125 times a year and almost never run into anyone on stream.

Looks like one of those clowns is trying to get his fly out of that tree.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:21:53 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Yep, looks like opener. hahaha. A great stream no doubt, but not one I fish much even tho I am 10-15 minutes from it. A top rule I have learned is to fish where other folks won't. Other than opener, I do not run into more than a cpl anglers each season. Two exceptions, Rush on a weekend and the BBBBrule. Those places are pretty popular.
draik11  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:18:46 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
This reminds me of a classic story my dad always tells us every year we go fishing in Canada.

The setting is the early 90's and my dad and his best friend are in Canada on one of those massive lakes that's the size of half of Wisconsin.

So my dad and his buddy are catching fish and having a great time when they notice a boat headed STRAIGHT for them. Their initial thought is, "crap, the MNR is coming to check on us."

Much to their surprise, it's another fisherman who stops about 30 feet from them and starts fishing.

My dad's buddy yells to the guy...."BIG LAKE HUH?"

The other fisherman, utterly clueless, enthusiastically replies...."Yeah, it sure is!"

Some people just don't get it.
Hoggies  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:29:35 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
In that situation, assuming you're doing some moving around, dropping one of those dumbell-shaped marker buoys about 150 yards off the good spot works wonders.

Edit: should've told those guys you saw risers around the last bend downstream.

Edited by user Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:30:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:13:10 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 111 post(s)
I wonder if these are the same guys I ran into last year in Vernon county.

After staring at me fishing for a bit, they parked next to my car and marched right in a few hundred yards upstream from where I was fishing.

Douchebags are everywhere.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Trouts  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:50:41 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If this sort of thing happens when I'm fishing I just return the favor. In this case stay in the water to stay legal, but walk up and start fishing right in front of them. They usually get the hint 😉. If not they already ruined the day for you, so what else do you have to lose? They will continue to do this if no body does anything.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 7:33:30 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Trouts Go to Quoted Post
If this sort of thing happens when I'm fishing I just return the favor. In this case stay in the water to stay legal, but walk up and start fishing right in front of them. They usually get the hint 😉. If not they already ruined the day for you, so what else do you have to lose? They will continue to do this if no body does anything.

That's my first inclination too. But I'm just done dealing with people acting stupid. It's a waste of my time and they usually can't be reasoned with anyway.

I've decided to do the opposite whenever possible. Help people out, especially those just starting out Trout fishing, or who are unfamiliar with the area. What to use, where to go, avoid trespassing, etc... Get em started on the right foot and maybe avoid some of the mishaps I've endured learning my way around.

Better karma I think.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 2:07:33 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have had this happen also on a private stream. I ask permission every time as the landowner wants to know who is there, We were almost done and to the two best stretches. Three guys walked in and started fishing then right in front of us. I asked iif they had asked permission, no. I explained that it was private and that they needed permission to stand on bank, ok if they waded stream. Told them landowners name and where he lived. They left and hope they learned something.