Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brad_Malueg  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:14:37 AM(UTC)
Brad_Malueg

United States

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on ways to reduce or eliminate spinner tangles when u cast. I'm having a somewhat hard time adapting to different casts. I'm not new to the sport but it seems I've developed a cast that fouls up alot. I currently run a 6 foot light st croix with a pflueger president 625 along with 8lb x5 braid. I was using 4lb fireline and getting similar results. It can be quite frustrating to hit your spots perfectly only to have the lure come back missed up. I've tried closing my bail before it hits the water which helps but then my lure placement isnt right. I'm open to any ideas. Thanks in advance. Ready to get back on the water...
Sponsor
Hoggies  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 1:08:08 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Do you find that you also get a lot of bird's nests / wind knots?
Brad_Malueg  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:06:27 PM(UTC)
Brad_Malueg

United States

No not usually
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:59:04 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
I get this every 50-100 casts (6 or 8 pound mono xl) or so and just chalk it up to whatever.

I take it that this is happening to you more frequently than that?

I got nothing to help.

What brand of spinners?

Also... I just switched back to braided, so maybe I'll start to have this more - can't remember if I was having this issue last time I was using braid.

I do remember much greater wind resistance for braided. Crap catches the wind like a sail.

Still... really sick of losing lures to a tuft of grass.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
billybigbilly  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:10:30 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post

Are those when a loop forms in your reel and cinches the line that runs out of the reel? Do these tangles happen to anyone else? I lost have my spool of line to multiple tangles like that last time I was out.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:16:42 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post

Are those when a loop forms in your reel and cinches the line that runs out of the reel? Do these tangles happen to anyone else? I lost have my spool of line to multiple tangles like that last time I was out.

That has happened to me. I usually have 5 setups (4'8" UL, 2 x 5' UL, 6' L and a 6'6" L) with me and two on my person (have a belt holster) when I go trout fishing and that is one of the reasons.

I just toss em in the van and deal with em when I get home.

Can't waste 15 minutes of fishing time on a line snarl.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
billybigbilly  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 8:54:22 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

That has happened to me. I usually have 5 setups (4'8" UL, 2 x 5' UL, 6' L and a 6'6" L) with me and two on my person (have a belt holster) when I go trout fishing and that is one of the reasons.

I just toss em in the van and deal with em when I get home.

Can't waste 15 minutes of fishing time on a line snarl.

Hmm maybe I should invest in more reels, cause it does waste time fixing those things, any ideas on how to stop them from occurring?
shebs  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:37:57 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brad_Malueg Go to Quoted Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on ways to reduce or eliminate spinner tangles when u cast. I'm having a somewhat hard time adapting to different casts. I'm not new to the sport but it seems I've developed a cast that fouls up alot. I currently run a 6 foot light st croix with a pflueger president 625 along with 8lb x5 braid. I was using 4lb fireline and getting similar results. It can be quite frustrating to hit your spots perfectly only to have the lure come back missed up. I've tried closing my bail before it hits the water which helps but then my lure placement isnt right. I'm open to any ideas. Thanks in advance. Ready to get back on the water...

I've found that braking the line with your hand helps immensely with this, especially when you're throwing larger lures. For most of my life, I fished with a reel that had a bad bail closure - so even now since I've gotten a new one, I close the bail manually, (rather than by cranking the reel) out of habit. This means my left hand is always on the reel. Braking the line with your hand seems to help reduce foul-ups, as well as minimize the splash of the larger lures hitting the water. Suddenly closing the bail while the lure is still in flight may actually make it worse - you want to decelerate the lure a bit more gradually to reduce to the snap-back. Beyond that, try mixing up your arm angles when casting. Use overhand, backhand, flipping, etc. and see if that makes a difference. Some fouling is unfortunately always inevitable, but if it's happening on more than 10% or so of your casts, something isn't right.

Hmm maybe I should invest in more reels, cause it does waste time fixing those things, any ideas on how to stop them from occurring?

Buy high quality line. I fish 10 lb powerpro, and the difference between PP and cheaper braid is night and day when it comes to snarls/rat's nests. You'll still get one occasionally, and it's worse when you have the spool almost full, so leave a 1/4-1/2" below the edge of your spool.
The other thing I find that helps is using a slightly oversized reel. Bigger arbor means it's not looping at tightly, and seems to make a big difference. For example, I used a 2500 size reel, despite the fact that my 6' L ugly stik normally would come paired with a 1500 size if bought as a combo.
This is the primary reason I quit fishing with mono - line memory. That, and the expense of lost lures. If you don't like braid, try some of the higher end fluoro with less memory.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 3/21/2019(UTC), Brad_Malueg on 3/24/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:52:47 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Agreed, hand braking is a common technique I use to control distance, but it also prevents looping and fouling. Also, learn an underhand cast. Lures flipped underhand will seldom foul and you do not need to handbrake. And last in general, use Power Pro :)

R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
Brad_Malueg on 3/24/2019(UTC)
Hoggies  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 4:10:13 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brad_Malueg Go to Quoted Post
No not usually

Ok. There might be something going on with your cast that's putting your line in the clevis. Either it's bouncing back as you close the bail or maybe catching as it turns over as you cast it. Try altering how much line you have out when you start your cast.

I usually use the hand braking method shebs and ron were talking about.

Edited by user Thursday, March 21, 2019 4:11:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
Brad_Malueg on 3/24/2019(UTC)