Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:42:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Finally got this dry mounted…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This is from 1984 and it’s kind of a cool time capsule as only a few years before that is when I started trouting up on the Deerskin River.

Has some fun filler:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here’s the key:

UserPostedImage

Apply it to the heart of the Driftless at that time:

UserPostedImage

Things have come a long way in 35 years.

Now I realize this map probably wasn’t intended to be an exhaustive database of quality trout waters, but imagine what the heart would look like on this today.

Some of today’s well know streams aren’t even on here as marginal water… Plum in Crawford for one.

Tough to find a place for this as it’s huge at 40 inches wide by 48 high. Also need to frame it although I’m not getting glass for it.

Love this and scored it on eBay a few years ago for maybe $10.

Thought some of you might like seeing it.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 3/13/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:55:58 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
ThumpUp

I'd put that on my wall for sure
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Hegawn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:06:33 AM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

Very cool! I love maps. I told my wife if she gets to decorate the upstairs, I get to decorate the downstairs and I plastered the walls with a bunch of Canadian and WI lake maps of past fishing trips. Got 40 years of Chippewa Flowage maps and each one has some tidbit of information that can be useful.

Maybe one day somebody from the American Pickers will ask you "what do ya gotta have for that map?". It's a nice piece of history.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:44:08 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I like that a lot! I wish I had a copy. I worked for a printing press company for a while, and they printed all the Amato books, and several posters besides. I had a bunch dry mounted, and still have some, 35 years later. My favorite is a list of all native trout west of the Rockies, so has many strains of cutthroat.

I found you can get a copy, although not cheap, from the Wisconsin Historical Society:
Wisconsin Trout

Edited by user Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:49:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:28:34 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Yeah… was happy to get it for $10. Would have paid a bit more (maybe $30-$40) although not what the Historical Society is asking.

It was kept rolled all those years with no pin holes or tears. It's a bit yellowed, but maybe that just adds to the character.

Would love to see other cool trout related stuff. If you can link a photo, maybe share them herein.

This will be the first trout thing that goes up in the cave. Has always been sports or music/concert related.

We have a couple of tasteful/artsy trout things in a first floor powder room, but that's it.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:13:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Thanks for posting that Gurth.

I've been coveting that map for awhile now. I found it at the Historical Society, but decided against getting it after seeing the cost. And I don't think I have any wall space left in my apartment to hang anything of decent size anyway. Nice looking map though.

Interesting to note that the Kickapoo West Fork is shown as marginal water. At the time that map was created, it probably was. But though concerted efforts by the WDNR, TU and local groups (thanks Trapper!) it has evolved into a destination stream.

When I was a child growing up in SW Wisconsin (shortly after the glaciers receded) only a few locals actually targeted Trout, and even fewer did it with a fly rod. Most fishing done was for warm water species on the bigger rivers (Wisconsin or Mississippi) and in reservoirs and lakes. Back then, Devil's Lake was considered a hot spot for Trout fishing, as the DNR did extensive stocking of Rainbows there. There were even a few epic Hex hatches there back in the 70s.

And as Trapper mentioned, I too remember those ponds stocked with Rainbows, with a line of people around the shore dipping worms. $1 per Trout caught, as I recall. It was popular with kids and tourists. There were lots of them around Wisconsin Dells at one time.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sides  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:43:44 PM(UTC)
Sides

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Never thought those would sell as collectibles. I still have the one I bought back in the 80’s when I started trout fishing. I still have the one the state of Minnesota put out too.