Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2019 4:39:16 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
1 It's a common joke to say that fly tying is cheaper than buying flies. Once you have "amortized" the equipment, and if you tie hundreds of flies or just a single style of fly, maybe, but certainly in most cases it's actually more expensive. For those who build their own spinners, would you say the same is true, or do you really save money?

2 The second question is more of a technical one: What diameter of wire do you typically use for your spinners? Can you stick to one size, or do you use different sizes for different size spinners?

3 What spinner twister do you like best?

Thanks!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
rschmidt  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:58:05 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 53 post(s)
1. It's hands down cheaper! Retail at 3.99 to 7.99 or more adds up. You can wholesale your own for less than a 1$ to less than 2$ depending on size, unless using pricey Tungstens like some spin snobs do! Flapper So if you buy a contraption for 40$ used on Ebay to 90$ new, it doesn't take long to pay it off and forward.

2. On wire, I like .035" size. This stuff is tough as nails and can be bent and rebent without casualty except in the rare extreme clusterfudge. Some store boughts use .017 and .021 and don't make it past catching one 15" brown or 12" brookie without being hosed. Using a solid bearing also helps as PMs eventually fail when the split bearing separates. Smaller lures generally have the thinner wire. None of them use close .035" until u get into muskie stuff and then it is usually .051"

3. I like the Twistech. They come up on EBay every once in a while. It's pretty indestructible.

Try it, you'll like it. ThumpUp

The best part is that I get to make exactly what I want to fish with. heavier bodies, different blades, colors, tails, stuff I know fishes best in certain spots.

Yeah... I guess it's pretty much just as obsessive as fly tying.BigGrin

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:00:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
weiliwen on 2/17/2019(UTC)
Life of Riley  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 7:12:19 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Order one size thinner diameter than what Ron recommends on wire, get a quality knipex round nose pliers, and a good side cutters and you're good to go. You can make them really quick by hand. I'm sure that twistech wire former is really really nice, and a little quicker if you really need to crank out a bunch of them.
ChadS  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:32:59 AM(UTC)
ChadS

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
1. I use .031" wire. I prefer to build my spinners with French blades and they spin better on that diameter with a number 2 clevis. I won't go any thinner because the durability drops.

2. Twistech
shebs  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 2:35:09 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I have also found that French blade/clevis types spinners work better with a .031, but if you get a nice heavy clevis, .035 works too. I really only use them on #4/#5 vibrax rebuilds (protip: add a worm weight inside the cone body instead of the brass tube spacer and your lure will run deeper).
The best thing about making your own, aside from the obvious advantage of heavier wire, is that you can use a better hook and add a tail. I use eagle claw 3x red trebles, and usually go a size smaller than you'd see on the stock spinner, makes for less snagging.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 10:43:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Holy crap! How do you spin guys afford prices like this?

UserPostedImage

On a slightly off-topic note, I've really noticed a price uptick on fly fishing flies lately at local shops. Pink Squirrels are topping out a $3 a pop, complex dry flies $3-$4, and bigger streams can get up to $6-$9! Don't even ask what they want for large Musky/Pike flies.

Damn. Maybe you can save money tying your own flies.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 11:07:44 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Holy shit that is ridiculous.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:27:04 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
^Thats why I don’t Bass fish...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Buckman  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:43:06 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I use a Twistech as well, it is such a great little tool for cranking out spinners. I used to use a lighter gauge, but last year swapped to a .035 and so far I like the results. I like to think I made my money back after the initial investment of buying the Twistech and a sizeable order from Lure Parts Online to get started back in the day. I've also learned that once friends find out you can make and rehab lures and spinners, then they start sending you all their old stuff to fix!
weiliwen  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:33:29 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Holy crap! How do you spin guys afford prices like this?

I guess that's why those bass guys use like 30# test line, so they can yard it out of whatever they get it stuck on!

Edited by user Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:34:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added "Bass" since trout spinners don't even cost this much new.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"