Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:38:52 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post

There's a sign on a pasture fence along Hay Creek in MN that says "Do not cross this pasture unless you can do it in 3.7 seconds. The bull can do it in 3.8." Blink

Love that. Laugh

I've only had one cow that behaved aggressively towards me and it was a heifer in a herd with no calves present.

Could hear her braying from 100 yards away and while most of the herd was meandering towards my spot, she was coming with purpose. As she got closer, she continued the braying and jumped up and down several times in place. I had no doubt that she didn't appreciate the cut of my jib and meant to do me harm.

She was across the stream with just a portage between us so I moved to my left and towards deeper water and a 10 foot bank. She followed on the other side and eventually I was able to lose most of her attention although she continued to bray insults in my direction for quite some time.

That's her once I was safely out of reach…

UserPostedImage

Same stream (same spot) a year or two earlier with my son…

UserPostedImage

I mentioned this in my closing weekend report form 2 seasons ago, but quickly…

Entered a pasture to fish… herd present… 3 of them took a keen interest in me and walked right over… not aggressive, but a bit close… I got in stream hoping they'd lose interest… they came right to edge and it's only a couple feet wide… they are BIG when right next to you and were basically in my ear eventually… rest of herd notices and starts to move towards me… I'm out!

UserPostedImage

They weren't being aggressive, but have never had them quite so close and curious and with another 30 moving in my direction, decided to go somewhere else.

They followed me to the stile…

UserPostedImage

Most interactions I've had with cows have been benign, but I'm always aware of them coz they really are big animals and can move much faster than most would guess.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
s.t.fanatic  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:54:43 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I hate fishing in pastures. My reason is that cows are way to friendly and curious. I've never had a run in with one that I felt threatened by in any way.
Gurth  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:43:20 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
It's funny as there are some streams where I only want to fish the pastures as they are absolutely full of fish and after all of the tough places I go, the respite of easy terrain is welcome.

On a couple of my streams, the pastures are the best sections in terms of density and there's almost nothing in the woods or tall grass areas.

I realize that insect life can be more robust where there is more sun and the trout follow.

On other streams though, it's the opposite and the fish seem to end where the pasture begins.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:49:43 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Last season I ran into a series of the craziest meanest cows ever. Unfortunately they were guarding an excellent trophy brown area. Each time (3x) was unsettling enough to make me turn and go back from where I came. Have never finished the last 1/3 or mile of that stretch. I do not think it will happen any time soon either. Snorting, stomping, foaming and charging right into the water. Don'r mess around with a 1000lb animal. Happy Fishing!