Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aikman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:53:16 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Took my son to Preston this weekend. The guys at the flyshop were great. Got a good and cheap steak at the bowling ally restaurant. Had a fun trip despite the slow fishing. Went to Forrestville creek, Root river, and Camp creek. Just a little too cold for any hatches I guess. I caught a couple on some blackbeadheads I tied but the fish over all were neutral at best. Anyone have a trick for deicing guides? Great area we'll be back.
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:20:28 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Those are fun streams, but they get blasted by experts just about every day. I’d look into fishing some of the smaller, less discussed tributaries to the Root.

The fishing there can be spotty on perfect weather days. Unless you know exactly which slots they’re using, and exactly how much to mend your drift, you won’t knock them dead. Besides Whitewater Browns those are the most educated fish in the state.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:29:26 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: aikman Go to Quoted Post
Anyone have a trick for deicing guides?

Honestly?

I use my mouth.

Laugh

Seriously.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
aikman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:28:00 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yeah we fished the root by camp creek mainly. In hindsight we should have gotten off the beaten path.
WI-fly  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:44:19 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Honestly?

I use my mouth.

Laugh

Seriously.

I have heard that WD40 works. Haven't tried it myself. Anyone?
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
shebs  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 12:43:19 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Honestly?

I use my mouth.

Laugh

Seriously.

I have heard that WD40 works. Haven't tried it myself. Anyone?

I'd be worried about petrochemicals weakening my line. I've also heard folks talk about coating the guides with chapstick.

I'm with gurth on this one though. BigGrin

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
WI-fly  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:34:48 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
This thread is starting to sound kinky, so I'll go with it. My rod is too big (8'6") to easily use my mouth.

But seriously, now that I think about the WD40, that tip came from my dad who is a walleye guy. He typically uses Fireline or some other super braid, which probably isn't too susceptible to petrochemicals.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
rschmidt  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:24:57 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
If using braid and it ices up on guides, just bust the ice off often, before it snags up. When the reel freezes up braid will stick, but it can be easily dealt with. When this happens to me, I let out enough line to get past the frozen spot on the spool and then skim/squeegee the braid between my thumb and forefinger on retrieve of line let out. With Power Pro, this will give full normal catsting back until it freezes again. Happy Fishing!
EddieRivard  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 11:11:50 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
The best method to deice guides is just to submerge your rod underwater so that all of the guides are under water but not your reel. Make your there are no obstructions and gently wave your road around in the water. The ice will usually disappear pretty quick depending on the stream temperature but even if it doesn't the ice will be significantly loosened up and you can remove it with your fingers.

The best method I have found for reducing the buildup in the first place is to start you day with a freshly cleaned line. Bob Mitchell's used to sell a product called, "Super Slick" that I use but they no longer sell it because the guy who supplied it died and the recipe died along with him I believe. I'm glad I have my own personal horde. I am sure there are other good cleaners/dressings out there but I wont start trying them until my current supply of super slick diminishes.

Another thing I do when fly fishing in the winter time to reduce buildup of ice on my guides is to minimize the amount of times that my line is sliding through my guides and the amount of times that my line comes in contact with the water. I'm so used to it now that I hardly even think about it while I am fishing. That's when you know you are a pro.

On a side note I have fished three times in 2019 and written a blog post after every outing. I figured this year would be a good year to not only resurrect my blog but to bring it to new heights. My life is finally at a point where I have some time to focus on it again after undergoing a mid life career change over the last few years.
MN Driftless  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:58:24 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
As someone who lives in southeast MN and fishes all seasons, routinely, the best advice I can give you and your son for winter stream fishing is to get deep and dredge, which means extra split shot, probably some longer leaders, and fish the pools. If it was super cold, then the trout are going to be lethargic and probably not overly interested in coming up to feed for midges. I fish a midge trailer about 90% of the time when winter nymphing, even when there is no hatch on. The midges are still there, moving, drifting, etc. They just may not be on top.

And, what they said about high traffic areas.
thanks 1 user thanked MN Driftless for this useful post.
aikman on 1/22/2019(UTC)