Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 3:42:15 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hougie Go to Quoted Post
Im a Coon Valley native and get out that way ocassionally. I have stopped into the Viroqua fly shop a few times some great people there. I have literally 0 casts under my belt so i agree a guide would be valuable. Meanwhile not being able to help myself i stopped at scheels in rochester last night and bought a few bugs.. I had read some of the links posted in this thread that helped. Just wasnt sure which size to get 12, 14, 16 18. Some of them are awfully small. So most were 14s and in the prince and copper john variety. A link of a photo of my fly box is at bottom of post. Im looking forward to the journey and will take my time and want to enjoy every lesson. My grandfather is up there smiling down on me for this as fly tying and fishing was his mastery. It took me awhile but at age 50 its time i get going on it. Weiliwen someone has guided me well so far! And i think you know who! Because of this site and people like you and the super fly guy have been inspiring me and extremely helpful! And i know you guys love to help.

fly box

Looking at your fly box, you have chosen well young Padawan. Smile

I too didn't get started with the fly rod until later in life. It's a shame, because I wish I had the health and energy I had when I was younger to bush wack my way around these Trout streams.

Here's a key tip to fishing the Driftless: Trout will sometimes feed on the surface, but most of the time the activity is down below. The flies in your box are predominately bead head patterns, designed to imitate emerging flies lower in the water column. This is where most Trout feed, and is your best bet to catch them. Size 10-16 are typical and recommended. Casting tiny dry flies to rising Trout is romantic and all, but it has a steep learning curve and can be frustrating as hell, even in the best circumstances.

That said, toss a few terrestrial foam patterns in your fly box for summertime - especially Hopper patterns. No Trout can resist those and it's the most fun you'll have with a fly rod. A few small streamers (Woolly Buggers) should also be in your box, for those days when the water is stained and running a bit higher than normal.

Good luck!
-Bill

PS: get some more Pink Squirrels too. You'll find it to be one of the most productive and easiest flies to fish.

Edited by user Monday, January 14, 2019 3:44:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added edit

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
hougie on 1/16/2019(UTC)