Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hawkeyefly  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 11:07:19 PM(UTC)
hawkeyefly

United States

This past weekend I was up fly fishing the driftless are in northeast Iowa and snapped the tip of my everyday 5wt. I fish with my white river hobbs creek rod that I bought when I first started fly fishing. I snapped the tip of it, and now I am in the market for a new all around 5wt mainly to be used in the driftless area, also on smaller lakes and ponds. I would like to upgrade to something a little nicer then the Hobbs Creek rod.

I have been looking into the Redington Vice 8'6 5wt. I would like to stay around the $200 price range. If you have any experience with the Vice I would love to hear your opinion, I'm also open to other recommendations.

Edited by user Sunday, November 4, 2018 11:12:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Djo  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 12:41:30 AM(UTC)
Djo

The Vice is a nice inexpensive rod. It is also a very fast rod. I have seen it compared to a Sage One in speed (although probably not in quality). Yellowstone Angler fly shop does a very detailed comparison of 5 wt rods that you might want to look at (https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2017-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-best-5-weight-rod-best-fishing-pole-best-fly-rod-g-loomis-nrx-lp-scott-radian-g-loomis-asquith-t-t-avantt-thomas-and-thomas-avant-edge-by-gary-loomis-orvis-h2-covert-winston-air-sage-x). There are a lot of great 5 wt rods around to chose from. Hopefully you can find a way to test cast a few before buying.
David
FisherMan  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 1:50:19 AM(UTC)
FisherMan

I have a Fenwick Aeros 5wt and really like it. They rate very high in the 5wt shootout and they are in your price range.