Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:27:01 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Nothing wrong with out of staters as my previous state of residence was, gulp, Illinois. I had never even tried a fly rod until I moved here to Wisco. There isn't anything special about the etiquette in WI streams. If you see people go up, go down. If you cross anyone on the stream, just ask how the fishing has been. If you find trash on the stream, throw it in your net. No matter what, be polite, even if the other yahoo is not.

Finally, there are no fish in La Crosse County. Not even worth your time.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Guillermo  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:28:46 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
You guys only confirm what I am saying by asking. The vast majority of land owners are good people and will grant you easier access if only asked. In regards to the "Club" mentioned above if you want to really get under their skin be "Nice" enough to let them know that you are going to legally fish through their property. You are doing the right thing by notifying them, staying legal, and pissing them off all at the same time. Let them know that you have the local CO in your contacts (I do) and you will call him if you have any problems. Angler harassment is wrong but if it were me I'd go catch 20's somewhere else. There are tons of them out there.

There is a HUGE difference between ethics and law/regulation.

Are you implying I’m unethical?

I’m not asking for permission to engage in a legal and fully ethical activity.

Never have, never will. Landowners have no claim to the navigable waters that flow over their property and the fish that reside in them.

Avoiding the water to appease these big shots from Chicago is no option I’m comfortable with.

My opening weekend plans involve an all-out raid on the club. I made one 5 mile walk last year, 3 more to go.
s.t.fanatic  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:18:12 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
You guys only confirm what I am saying by asking. The vast majority of land owners are good people and will grant you easier access if only asked. In regards to the "Club" mentioned above if you want to really get under their skin be "Nice" enough to let them know that you are going to legally fish through their property. You are doing the right thing by notifying them, staying legal, and pissing them off all at the same time. Let them know that you have the local CO in your contacts (I do) and you will call him if you have any problems. Angler harassment is wrong but if it were me I'd go catch 20's somewhere else. There are tons of them out there.

Never have, never will. Landowners have no claim to the navigable waters that flow over their property and the fish that reside in them.

Avoiding the water to appease these big shots from Chicago is no option I’m comfortable with.

My opening weekend plans involve an all-out raid on the club. I made one 5 mile walk last year, 3 more to go.

I wasn't implying anything. I don't even care if you are unethical or even break regs for that matter. I'm selfish, I worry about myself and could care less what others do.

If you want to actually enjoy the time on the water and catch fish why would you even consider fishing it (the club) opening weekend?

After reading many of your posts/comments over the years I am finally realizing that you enjoy confrontation more than actually fishing. To each their own.
NBrevitz  
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:27:25 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)

There is absolutely no need to let people know you are going to fish through their land. And he’s not fishing for Coldwater Carp, he’s looking for giant Brookies, much tougher to find.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:29:56 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

There is absolutely no need to let people know you are going to fish through their land. And he’s not fishing for Coldwater Carp, he’s looking for giant Brookies, much tougher to find.

Need? Of course not. Need has nothing to do with it. In his particular case I wouldn't ask either. You already know what the answer is. We're talking about a bunch of rich assholes not joe farmer that would rather give his land to a neighbor kid who wants to farm than to sell to an upper classer for triple the going rate.

By the sound of It he already found what he is looking for.

Guillermo  
#26 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:49:36 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post

I wasn't implying anything. I don't even care if you are unethical or even break regs for that matter. I'm selfish, I worry about myself and could care less what others do.

If you want to actually enjoy the time on the water and catch fish why would you even consider fishing it (the club) opening weekend?

After reading many of your posts/comments over the years I am finally realizing that you enjoy confrontation more than actually fishing. To each their own.

I enjoy the hell out of my time on the water, private or public.

My confrontational posts tend to be in response to you claiming it’s bad etiquette not to get permission to fish public riverine highways. Then there’s the time you called us snowflakes for getting pissed about a fence illegally blocking a stream.

If not asking permission where it’s not needed is bad etiquette according to you, and laws are different than ethics as you say, which they are in some cases, but not here, then you are most certainly implying I’m breaking etiquette and being unethical.

In that case, I’ll wear the title with pride and keep on fishing where I want, when I want.
NBrevitz  
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 11:03:41 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Need? Of course not. Need has nothing to do with it. In his particular case I wouldn't ask either. You already know what the answer is. We're talking about a bunch of rich assholes not joe farmer that would rather give his land to a neighbor kid who wants to farm than to sell to an upper classer for triple the going rate.

By the sound of It he already found what he is looking for.

Joe Farmer can be an asshole at times too, especially when you have out of state plates. And this is coming from someone who spin fishes, and wears Pabst Blue Ribbon shirts and an NRA hat on the stream. I have more in common with them than most... So if they’re assholes to me, they won’t give a fly bro the time of day.

To be fair, most farmers are cool as hell. But I can name 6-8 spots off the top of my head where an asshole farmer has given me shit while wading up to my belly button in muck to stay legal, while releasing every single fish. Some landowners have done this repeatedly. I’d much rather not get in a confrontation, but I’m also not going to go elsewhere if they say no, so... I’m far more likely to get into a confrontation if I tell them I’m using my constitutionally protected right to fish beforehand. So why the hell do I even bother? I rarely keep fish, I’d rather cut off my pecker than keep a big Brookie, I will all but swim to stay legal... If they wanna bitch at me, they can kiss my ass.

20 inch Browns grow on trees if they have enough food, even in pressured systems. 16 inch Brookies are a bitch to find, I’m not going elsewhere because someone can’t handle it.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 11:14:30 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)

Joe Farmer can be an asshole at times too, especially when you have out of state plates. And this is coming from someone who spin fishes, and wears Pabst Blue Ribbon shirts and an NRA hat on the stream. I have more in common with them than most...

Maybe up there in Redneckistan where you roam.

Clearly you haven't been around our organic and hobby farms.

Flapper Laugh
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#29 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 12:22:09 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Joe Farmer can be an asshole at times too, especially when you have out of state plates. And this is coming from someone who spin fishes, and wears Pabst Blue Ribbon shirts and an NRA hat on the stream. I have more in common with them than most...

Flapper Laugh

Oh we've got plenty of those on this side of the big river too LOL

But guys, we've had this discussion enough times. Fish how and where you like. Ask, or don't ask. Do it legally. Beyond that, have fun.

I personally hate confrontations with landowners, but I'm also not afraid to make return trips to a handful of places just to make sure the landowners know who's in the right. When Todd McDouchebag (who inherited his quarter section from daddy) tells me I can't fish there and should buy my own land, you better believe I'll be back. Every year on MN opening day, and a couple more times a year for good measure. (coincidentally, this led to me meeting and getting permission to walk the banks from his upstream neighbor, who also thinks he's a douchebag, and is more than happy to help me torque him off)

But when you yell at me multiple times, and threaten to call the sheriff (please do! he'll set you straight on who is breaking the law here) - I'll make sure to fish there more than I otherwise would. Talking to you, specific asshole in Dunn county.........

I'm sure no one here has any love for PETA, but the best thing they ever did was be idiotic enough to get hunter/angler harassment laws on the books, so next time this guy harasses me, it's a gross misdemeanor. You're on video from the last time, so just try it again...

And Guillermo...shoot me an email, we should organize a raiding party for opening day Flapper I promise Brevitz and I won't spill the beans on your magical brookie waters.

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2019 12:23:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#30 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 7:03:35 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Flapper Laugh

40 minutes from Saint Paul is the boonies? Oh trust me they’re quite tame and cultured. Dunn County, a bit further out, even has decent cell service now. This isn’t ND, land of Blockbuster and bird cleaning stations at the convenience store.