Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JGF  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:26:11 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, I didn't want to start a sh*tstorm with my comment that nobody came up to me. Everybody was eating dinner at the time, and they went straight into the meeting afterwards. They did ask the new attendees to stand up and introduce ourselves, so I did that.

I think it's incumbent on newbie AND club officers to reach out in these cases. I think the earlier comment that JGF made is true - they CAN become old boys' clubs if there is not enough new blood coming in on a regular basis. It's not that they are purposely trying to exclude outsiders from taking part; they're just in there with their buddies, and hang out with them. It's natural. Hey, the same thing happens at TrapFests. People are greeting old friends, and new folks tend to get overlooked.

I didn't see it as a sh*tstorm at all.

I'm genuinely curious what groups I've been part of can do to be more inclusive of others. It is really easy for them to be pretty insular and it's not easy or always comfortable to reach out to others. I do think it limits groups ability to bring in new blood, change with the times, get fresh perspectives, etc.

Gurth  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:42:18 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
I think it's mostly up to the group to reach out to new faces in the room. That is if the group is looking for new members.

If I come to your meeting and I get ignored and made to feel like an unwelcome or overlooked outsider, you can bet I won't be back.

I have little interest in clubs or groups, but I have to imagine that others who are and are treated that way might feel the same.

Honestly... talking fishing with other fishermen (fisher-people) is one of the easiest ice-breaker conversations ever.

Would think that groups would have designated welcoming individuals who would seek out the noobs and engage them.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
stan b  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:08:50 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JGF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post
JGF,
Here's where we differ.
If you are a leader or a member of an organization that is struggling for membership and growth to remain vital you reach out and welcome anyone with interest.

To ignore those potential new members is a display of an attitude that is a partial cause of the demise of said organization.

And in my case, I am anything but an introvert.
But one may develop any conclusion they want.
Mine was that outsiders weren't received graciously.

All the best,

Stan b

First, I think that's an assumption that I'm not sure is true universally. Many TU chapters in smaller population areas aren't doing great on membership but several I've been or am part of are doing quite well at least in terms of numbers. Biggest place I've experienced groups not doing as well is getting a more diverse group involved (more women, younger people, basically people other than old white men). I'm not sure what the solution is there?

Maybe more uses of technology and other ways to get people involved and interested?

The issue - as it is with pretty much every volunteer group - is that 10% of the people do 90% of the work. 10% might be generous sometimes and 90% might be an underestimation. TU as a whole is doing quite well on membership. From my perspective, the real question isn't how to get more members but how to get more members that contribute. Of course, you have no idea which of the new members might turn into these people which is why welcoming them is important.

On the second bold, what do you suggest groups do to be more inclusive and receive new people more graciously? I'm not sure what the answer is here. I think many groups do try - they may not be very successful in their efforts, however.

Basically, I have more questions than I do answers...

IMO: walk up to a newbie, introduce your self, welcome them to the function and begin introducing them.

I in no way see this as a "shitstorm."

If my posts seem uncivil to Gurth, Weilewen or JGF,my sincerest apologies.

Stan b

Edited by user Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:12:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
stan b  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:10:58 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I think it's mostly up to the group to reach out to new faces in the room. That is if the group is looking for new members.

If I come to your meeting and I get ignored and made to feel like an unwelcome or overlooked outsider, you can bet I won't be back.

I have little interest in clubs or groups, but I have to imagine that others who are and are treated that way might feel the same.

Honestly... talking fishing with other fishermen (fisher-people) is one of the easiest ice-breaker conversations ever.

Would think that groups would have designated welcoming individuals who would seek out the noobs and engage them.

This is what I was trying to say...…..

And thank you for reaching out to me when I started here!

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
weiliwen  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:40:37 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
No offense meant to anybody here by my terminology! I just saw disagreements arising about the behavior of the club members.

I think that FF clubs have, for me, a high bar to pass over. I was in a great club in SW Washington when I went there. When a newbie arrived, every time, one of the club officers would take that guy in hand every time. He'd buy them the beverage of their choice. He'd walk them to the other officers that might be around, as well as whatever club member the officer was talking to. He'd then walk the new guy over to the monthly fly tyer (they had a neat little camera set up so the fly tying was projected on the big screen until the program of the month started) and introduce the guy to the fly tyer.

The club had a twice-yearly casting clinic, a sure-fire way to attract new fly fishers, and the same kind of attention was given folks who weren't club members; somebody would come up to the person, chat with them, and walk them over to a fly casting tutor (they were regular guys and gals, so I hesitate to call them "instructors") to help them improve their game. I had Steve Rajeff tutor me!! I was pleased as punch with that.

The club had monthly outings, 12 months a year (milder climate than here!!), and many were overnighters to the Crooked, Deschutes, John Day, or Metolius Rivers. Again, the first time a member (or non-member, all were welcome) turned up, a senior guy would take him or her under his wing and show them a few spots, techniques, flies, etc.

It was a very inclusive and welcoming club.

And STILL, most members were above retirement age. Not as many as the meeting I attended Monday, but likely 60%.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 9/26/2018(UTC)
JGF  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:57:02 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post

IMO: walk up to a newbie, introduce your self, welcome them to the function and begin introducing them.

I in no way see this as a "shitstorm."

If my posts seem uncivil to Gurth, Weilewen or JGF,my sincerest apologies.

Stan b

I took no offense. I'm sure I came across as gruff in saying that people need to do something to get themselves involved and not wait for others to do it for them. Which I wasn't directing at anyone in particular.

It's probably that I work with students and hear them complain about how nobody did "x" for me that I get too used to asking them, well what did you do to make it happen?