Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:40:29 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
No trout or summer steelhead for me lately. Almost all of the fishing I've been doing is after dark for largemouth bass. I did go with my daughter to a nearby retention pond for bluegills-she got enough to keep herself interested on a cricket pattern. We had some company: a snapping turtle was moving along the shore with us, probably going after the same bluegills. Occasionally, we could see a lot of them swim past us, in the opposite direction of the turtle. We also helped a different turtle get across a fairly busy road. I think they're laying eggs about now because we've seen-and assisted-a few of them. The next night, we spotted another snapping turtle in our neighbor's driveway and brought it over to our pond before it had a chance to be hit by a car. And some of my co-workers had pictures of yet another turtle trying to use our community garden as a nest site; they moved it to another location before it could destroy too many tomato plants.

I'd been getting a few bass on poppers and frog patterns at night. Nothing hot and heavy yet, but it is improving. Only a week or so ago, the water was still surprisingly cool. I think they'll feed more aggressively as the water heats up and their metabolisms get going. There were some hatches going on while I was out there and fish were feeding. I didn't actually sample any insects, but they appeared to be mayflies. Not sure if the fish were feeding on emergers, duns or spinners or some combination. I thought I saw crappies rising aggressively but there was no way to be sure in the dark. I went back with a generic adult mayfly pattern and a much lighter rod. The hatch got going, but the fish didn't begin to feed aggressively until after I had to leave. I did get a few nice bluegills on the mayfly pattern, but no crappies. No small bass either. I may just have to stay a little later. I did have a skunk walk behind me while I was there. He was intent on getting somewhere and I didn't give him any reason to take notice of me, so all ended well. In fact, when I turned back to the water after watching him, my fly was gone and there was a big ring where the fly had been. I got a nice bluegill out of it. Later on, I could hear something drinking from the lake, but couldn't see what it was because of some long grass. After a few minutes, it started moving towards me and a raccoon appeared on the path. It was the only way in and out for me and not wanting to have to walk past him, I spoke a little loudly: "Get out of here. Go somewhere else." That's one animal that really scares me, more than coyotes, bobcats, skunks. I was glad when he backed out. I could hear him moving down the bank and he eventually made a loud jump into the water. A little different crowd out there at night; it makes things interesting.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 6/26/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:29:46 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Great write up Pete. I have not tried LMB after dark, but I would imagine it to be a great time. Happy to know your daughter is going with you. I do the same with my kids (12yo daughter and 16yo son). They both love to fish and I enjoy fishing more when one of them is with me.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:45:09 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Nice write up Pete.

I got my start with the fly rod casting poppers for Bluegills on small ponds. Bluegills are great cause their always there and always biting. One day I felt something much heavier on the end of the line - it turned out to be a moderate sized Largemouth Bass. He got wrapped up in the weeds and I ended up breaking him off. Heck of fight though on a light rod.

One of these days I'm going to go back to fishing for bass on those days when it's too warm for Trout. It's a lot easier with a boat though.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 12:34:43 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Nice!

I've been going after warm water fish lately... mostly largies.... although on spin gear.

Been a nice change of pace.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:30:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
This guy has the right idea for dealing with spammers.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos