Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 12:27:51 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mmalyuk Go to Quoted Post
It turned out very nice Shebs! Does he do replicas too? I'm tempted to get one done...

No idea. He's crazy busy right now with deer (on account of the extended CWD season in SE MN), but google Viola Taxidermy (Viola MN) and give him a call. Or just murder one of those monsters you're always catching LOL

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Nice mount Shebs. A real bruiser of a Brown Trout.

I've never caught a trophy fish like that. Still waiting to bust the 20" club - but I suppose it would help if I fished places more often that might hold a fish like that.

I once had an interesting conversation with a DNR guy about big Trout. His opinion was that any Trout over 20" in the Driftless is an exceptional fish. Just to survive it has to eat a lot to sustain it's metabolism. At some point they simply cannot intake enough and perish due to their own mass. Really large Trout can only survive if there's an abundance of food and they've found a safe place to hid from predators. If you find a stream with lots of Chubs, you may find a big Trout living there too.

The trick, is to get them to come out and eat. Most alpha fish tend to be nocturnal predators, and hunker down in their safe place during the the daylight hours.

-Bill

Yeah, those big boys are surprisingly common in SE MN...Of the nine 20"+ (inland) I've caught in my 5 years of trouting, all but one was in MN. I think it helps that the MNDNR isn't stocking hardly any browns anymore - fewer fish to compete with, I guess. I bet they'd be a lot more common in the class 2/3 waters of WI if the DNR would stop filling them up with stocked browns. But you're definitely right about the chubs. The places where I've caught most of them are unfishable with worms or nymphs, because you'd spend all day pulling chubs off your hook.

They're also a lot easier to find in the winter and spring, when they're mostly feeding in daytime and trying to gain back the weight they lost after spawning/wintering.

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2019 12:39:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
mmalyuk  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 3:12:01 AM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Bonking one would be cheaper for sure. 😁

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2019 3:14:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked mmalyuk for this useful post.
shebs on 1/18/2019(UTC)