Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:59:28 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Longtime DTA contributor Brian Schumacher aka Chenhyperborea died recently in a tragic accident while on a fishing vacation in iceland. His contributions to the trout fishing community were many. He will be sorely missed.

Article

Sponsor
big_river_bum  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:39:42 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
wow. very sad. i didn't know him personally, but want to offer condolences to any one here who did. i remember a lot of his posts and he always offered up great tips and stories

scary how things can go so wrong so quickly. i was in the smoky mountains this week and really wanted to fish, but with all the rain they had it just didn't feel safe exploring unfamiliar streams, so i passed.

thoughts and prayers for their friends and families

William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:02:09 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
RIP Brian.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:48:05 PM(UTC)
DanE

RIP to Bryan and Janet, this is grim reminder to cherish everyday. I know that Bryan was very happy that Janet had taken to fishing and enjoyed it as much as he did. Unfortunate that a dream trip turned tragic and ended this way.
cschub13  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:13:39 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Damn I was just looking at his instagram the other day...so sad. RIP
WI-fly  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:19:31 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The news of their passing hit me hard Monday morning. Since Janet and Brian started fly fishing a few years ago, I came to know them quite well. They started their fly fishing life about 5 years ago and got their first lessons at Trout Fest in Coon Valley. Cy Post worked with Janet, and Bill Stanton worked with Brian. They were eager and natural learners. For any of you who knew Brian, of course he threw himself into it 110% and picked up the sport quickly. Janet was the same. Because of their success, both of them did guide work for the Driftless Fly Fishing shop over in Preston. Aside from the guiding and personal trips they took, both Janet and Brian were constant volunteers for so many outdoor events, especially in fly fishing-- CRTU and Win-Cres meetings and events, coming to every banquet (always with a prize to donate), frequent volunteers for Reel Recovery, Janet was a big help with women's clinics, and both were involved with the Cozad 1Fly to raise money for youth fishing activities. I was honored to have them as my 1Fly team mates the past two years along with my son Gavin and friend Jason. We never placed high in the tourney, but nobody had more fun than we did. In addition to knowing them in the fishing world, Janet was our vet. Always a kind person, her kindness and expertise were especially evident as she did her work at Hillside Clinic.

They are wonderful people who enjoyed life and made time to do what they wanted, spending time together in the outdoors.

David Nash and I are going to write a dedication article for them for Wisconsin Trout, MN Trout, and the national TU magazine. If you have any experiences with them that you'd like to share, please post them here or email me at curtrees@gmail.com. Happy to talk on the phone too 608-317-3747.

Some of the local media had facts wrong with their first reports. This article from the Strib, is accurate from what I know of what happened.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Guillermo  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2018 6:56:11 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
trapper  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2018 12:38:50 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
The Driftless Trout world is in shock over this bad event.
Brian wanted to learn from a master, sadly we never hooked up.
Preston Mn lost a great guy and Guide.
Blessed be the memory of both of them.
I take great pride helping Janet locate the largest Brown Trout of her life.
Sad day for pets in the Lax area
Get Reel