Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

82 Pages«<7475767778>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#751 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 6:22:23 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Got out both mornings of the weekend. Way too much sun for my taste and water is low down here south of the Wisco.

Quit both days by 10:00.

On Saturday, went to Grant to fish an old favorite with a buddy. If you're not first, you're last and we were at the parking area by 6:30 or so and walked about 45 minutes downstream before starting.

More and more, I want to fish places where relatively few go and the spot we walked to is one such place. The stream we fished is very pressured, but less so where we went.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Anyway, we each got over a dozen including some decent (but not big) sized ones. Gave my buddy a few size 9 PMs gold and black and he's now a convert to bigger PMs. I alternated between a size 6 brown trout nature series and a size 8 x-rap river perch – I carry two rods.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Had a decent brown take a swipe at the x-rap and miss. Waited a minute or so and then got it with the PM.

UserPostedImage

Had a pair of minks chasing each other around on the streambank right between us not caring at all that we were right there. Had an eagle do a fly over at maybe 30 feet, right down the stream. Saw turkeys and deer.

Was watching my buddy fish a spot near a huge in-stream boulder and thought it looked like an animal was on the boulder and eventually realized it was a goose all crouched down on a nest.

UserPostedImage

Freaking beautiful morning in one of my favorite places to fish. There are places to go to catch more and/or larger trout, but the majesty of this particular valley is unmatched in SW Wisconsin imo.

UserPostedImage

One last thing that happened… Water was clear and the sun full so could sometimes see the fish chasing before the strike. Actually allowed me to pull my lure away from a few dinks that I didn't want to hook.

Saw one 12-14 incher chasing and then all of a sudden there was a horde behind him following. It was like a lead cavalry man and all his troops. They all (40-50 browns from 6 to 14 inches) came to my boots and circled in no particular hurry and then swam back upstream to their hole.

I've herded trout before and had them turn towards my boots when they couldn't go any further upstream and also have spooked a pool and had 20-50 milling about in a panic, but this was a first. I laughed. Cool moment.

We ran into a couple of fly guys at about the spot where we were gonna quit anyway and the bite had slowed way down by 9:00. He went back to his farmette on the ridge to do chores and I called it a day.

Just didn't feel like fishing low water in FULL sun. I've done it and been successful, just not in the mood as I'd already had a great day.

Sunday morning saw me on local waters at dawn and I got a couple bites right away – landing a fat 15 and losing a 17-18 and then it died completely. Went to 3 diverse stretches looking for willing fish from deep pools to shallow riffles and everything in between.

Nothing much going on and didn't feel like driving to different water. Called it a day at 10 and went home to hang with the fam and dogs and get stuff done.

We could really use some rain and I'd love some overcast or at least partially cloudy days. Seems like we've had more than our share of full sun, high skies this spring.

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2019 6:34:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 3 users thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 4/22/2019(UTC), mmalyuk on 4/22/2019(UTC), Smis on 4/22/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#752 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 6:33:44 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Great looking outing.

I know that rock! Funny a Goose would pick an exposed spot like that for a nest. It's chicks will get snatched up by Eagles or Hawks, or maybe those Mink.

Awesome to see a Trout take an X-Rap that size. Proves that bigger Trout will eat their young.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#753 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 6:50:26 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
I've caught trout that size with partially digested fish larger than that x-rap down their throats, so I know they'll eat them.

That said, some of the smaller trout I get on x-raps are on the feathery tail hook, so I wonder if they are just chasing and nipping rather than trying to eat.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
big_river_bum  
#754 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 8:14:02 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
near perfect conditions on the bad axe this afternoon. could use a bit more stain. hopefully we don't get chocolate milk after the rain tonight

took my 8 year old nephew out. he had 3 in the 1st run on a silver size 6 PM and then the free cabelas pole he won at the Stoddard kids fishing tournament broke on a snag. we told his mom he broke it on a huge trout. I had him roll casting a pink squirrel after that

he caught 3 on my glass 4 wt.

only saw a few splashes and few bugs about. cloudy, little wind, some rain on and off. was hoping for a better bite. I did lose a big one. probably 17.
trapper  
#755 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:35:14 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Great job uncle Seth
BTW: happy bday
Get Reel
big_river_bum  
#756 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:35:13 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

thanks trap

we went to country gardens and had the easter buffet. i wanted pizza, but not available
big_river_bum  
#757 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:41:04 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

a few streams i fished and drove by in eastern vernon county were nicely stained yesterday. perfect for streamer fishing

the wf kickapoo was surprisingly running very clear. i know it rained more to the south of viroqua
big_river_bum  
#758 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:55:56 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

yesterday was one of the more frustrating days i've ever had on a stream. fished from 10am-4pm. bugs out the whole day. fished 4 different streams, never saw a single fish rise, and caught one goddamned fish!

first streams was probably a little to stained for a lot of risers, but there were caddis all along the banks. 2 pickups park by my vehicle then proceed to watch me for 10 minutes. then one truck drives up the road, a guy gets out, and walks across the field to ask how far i was going up. said i was probably leaving soon so they said they were going to fish up from behind me. ok. as i was walking back i was working up the courage(i'm passive) to tell them how poor of form/illegal it was for him to just walk across the landowners field. they were gone when i got back. talked to the landowner and asked if he chewed them out. apparently they decided to fish elsewhere first. so they bothered me, trespassed, and then left

went further up the stream and found a nice bwo hatch. then realized a nice few pools with feeders coming into them had been ruined by beaver dams. like 5 damns in 100 yards. could be some big boys in them though with all the springs feeding into them. this spring was bubbling up in about 3 different spots

UserPostedImage

and right next to it i saw my first wildflowers of the year

UserPostedImage

sorry for the poor pics

tried a stream the valley over and more frustration. yes the sun was out and bright, but with the sheer amount of bugs present you'd think you'd see little guys rising here and there. in one stretch i had stoneflies, dark caddis, bwos, and hendricksons all in clouds around the water. found a shaded stretch and sat there for 30 minutes drinking a beer. never saw a rise

went to the wf and snagged one on a hippie stomper and called it a day.
big_river_bum  
#759 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:39:08 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

north fork bad axe and coon creek were dirty sunday

south fork was crystal clear yesterday
big_river_bum  
#760 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:55:14 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

stop in the fly shop and buy a half dozen coulee craneflies

skate them and hold on
thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
SquareEgg on 5/8/2019(UTC)