Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 8:55:52 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Invasion Of Rivard Land

Without permission and under the cover of darkness, my friend Matt and I ventured across the WI/MN border without detection on Saturday morning. Watched the radar the previous eve and hoped most of the rain missed our destination stream. On the way from Chaseburg I checked a couple WI smaller streams and found them puking chocolate milk. I was concerned and that concern was amplified when arriving at Matt’s as it was still misting/raining in La Crosse.

We drove somewhere between 15 and 50 miles (I am sworn to secrecy) turning on a dirt road and pulling the truck to a stop at an unlikely place. Without forehand knowledge, you would never know there was an un-improved trout stream 100 yards away.

Matt and I had previously texted during the week and decided we would meet at the church on Rullands Coulee. We both like Rullands and hoped we would beat the crowd there. But after the forecast showed possible heavy rain events in the area and Matt’s success in MN the day before on this stream, we made a game plan change and decided on MN. Based on the results, it was the right call.

Still unsure of the amount of rain on this MN stream, we walked down to the stream to discover it running almost crystal clear. And with heavy overcast skies, we were hopeful. Cold front had dropped temperatures, so we figured we’d have to nymph or streamer fish til the clouds broke later in the day and things warmed a little. That was until we surveyed the stream and saw a riser in the tail end of the first riffle. It was 9:30 am.

Matt tied on one of his new inventions, some sort of sulfur mayfly imitation with streaks of pink. Bam. First fish to hand.

UserPostedImage

I stuck with the psycho prince nymph for that first riffle and was unrewarded. After Matt’s first fish, he handed my one of what would come to be known as ‘Matt’s Imitation Bethkey Special’, cause we couldn’t come up with a better name for it. It had pink in it and that’s about the extent of its resemblance to the pink squirrel. But it was the dry fly of the day.

UserPostedImage

After the next turn, I tossed my pink sulfur up near the left side of the bank and watched a large head slurp the fly down and head toward the bottom. A quick side-arm hook set and the battle was on.

UserPostedImage

Matt and I both love this stream cause the fish, even the shorties, have shoulders and guts on them and fight like hell. This ended up being a little over 15” fish but a hell of a battler. And the day was full of fish like this.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Matt tied on another 'flavor' with pink striations and jumped in a riffle I couldn't get anything out of. He was puttin the shit on me for being unable to pull a fish out of that run. After about 10 unsuccessful casts, I returned the favor and said something about his manhood the fish not liking the pattern Matt had tied. I no sooner had the words out of my mouth and Matt hooked fish. I think he is still laughing.

UserPostedImage

Matt did well the day before with another friend. Couple of their pics as well.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I unfortunately had a grad party to get to so we needed to wrap up and start walking off at 1:30. I am sure we could have fished all day. Just before we left the last hole, Matt said “look to your right”. And there in the grass just up from the stream bed was a fawn holding tight. I was able to snap a quick pic. My wife later said I should have brought it home as a playmate for our 10 month old boxer.

UserPostedImage

Just so you know Eddie, we may have intruded upon your territory (MN) but we put all the fish back.

mj

Edited by user Monday, June 1, 2015 9:00:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 9:01:25 AM(UTC)
DanE

Nice report Mike!
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 9:30:00 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
This land is my land, this land is your land, from Altura, to Winona.

My only gripe is that I was not invited. Sad
MikeJuran  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 9:47:16 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

EddieRivard wrote:
This land is my land, this land is your land, from Altura, to Winona.

My only gripe is that I was not invited. Sad

eddie, you are invited to fish it ....... if you can find it ...... And thanks for sharing your land!
Fly Me A River
kinni  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 9:59:00 AM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Awesome report! You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this famous ‘Matt’s Imitation Bethkey Special’/Pink Sulphur, would you? You also wouldn't mind me/us copying this pattern for some Wisco streams, would you? Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right??

Congrats again on a great time on the water!
MikeJuran  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 10:01:12 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

kinni wrote:
Awesome report! You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this famous ‘Matt’s Imitation Bethkey Special’/Pink Sulphur, would you? You also wouldn't mind me/us copying this pattern for some Wisco streams, would you? Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right??

Since's its Matt's creation, I will ask him for the pattern to tie and if I can share a pic of it ... i still have one tied on my fly rod at home as I forgot to yank it off before we left and return it to it rightful owner.

mj
Fly Me A River
FryinPanDan  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 11:32:55 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

MN. The dark side.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
MikeJuran  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2015 1:19:42 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

FryinPanDan wrote:
MN. The dark side.

yes, dark side when in search of fat trout .... but don't bother searching for professional football team here .... just a fairy tale ...

go pack
Fly Me A River
s.t.fanatic  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:16:26 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Football is for people that don't like catching monster trout staging to spawn.
MikeJuran  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:45:13 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

MikeJuran wrote:
kinni wrote:

Since's its Matt's creation, I will ask him for the pattern to tie and if I can share a pic of it ... i still have one tied on my fly rod at home as I forgot to yank it off before we left and return it to it rightful owner.

mj

here's a pic of the fly ..... Matt said it was modeled more after Hendrickson vs Sulfur .... looks like a mayfly to me ....and I can't argue with success

UserPostedImage

here is another angle

UserPostedImage

mj
Fly Me A River