Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:44:28 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Apologies for the long delay in getting this posted, but as you'll see, it's not as if anyone is missing a hot bite.

There have been some posts on here over the years about Story/Tipperary Creek in Dane County and even though most were discouraging, I had to see the place for myself. Plus I wanted to do it before mid to late May when it supposedly turns into a jungle. I started on the far upper reaches where it is very narrow. There were brookies around but I wouldn't make a special trip just to fish for them. There was barely any flow at all-it was more like stillwater fishing. It's a marshy area and it will be tough to navigate once vegetation really starts growing.

I finished at the 92 bridge and there is a deep pool there. Night fishing would be the way to go there to see if there are any monsters hiding in the undercut banks. All I found was small fish in the late afternoon.

In between those two spots, I parked off Alpine and walked in to the middle stretch. I was kind of disappointed in that the majority of places it was about 20 feet wide and maybe 6 inches deep. I covered a lot of ground to find just a couple of pools that were deep enough to hold fish. My 4/5 weight was way too much stick for the small fish I found. The stream has a reputation among some for holding nice fish, but I didn't see any evidence of it. Of course, I barely scratched the surface of all the water that is in the six mile stretch between bridges. Before I give up on it, maybe I'll walk bridge to bridge in January to see where the likely holding water is.

If you live in the area, it would be a good place to spend a few free hours. But for me, it's a little too far for a day trip-as good or better water closer to home-and by driving another half hour or so, I could be in the central sands or the eastern edge of the driftless; those are better options for overnight trips.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:34:03 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Anyone fish Black Earth Creek or it's tribs lately?

The last year or so the fishing there has been tough due to lower numbers. On my trips back and forth from the SW Wisconsin streams to Milwaukee, I typically make note of how many vehicles I see parked along the access points on Hwy 14. So far this year, there seems to be far fewer than previously. I stopped by the bridge at South Valley Road back in April to talk to a fisherman who said three hours effort only produced one Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
turbomike15  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:20:22 PM(UTC)
turbomike15

William Schlafer wrote:
Anyone fish Black Earth Creek or it's tribs lately?

The last year or so the fishing there has been tough due to lower numbers. On my trips back and forth from the SW Wisconsin streams to Milwaukee, I typically make note of how many vehicles I see parked along the access points on Hwy 14. So far this year, there seems to be far fewer than previously. I stopped by the bridge at South Valley Road back in April to talk to a fisherman who said three hours effort only produced one Trout.

-Bill

Bill,
I was going to bring back that thread after an outing on BEC this weekend. I had a few excellent outings early this year, producing wild browns and colored-up big hold over rainbows. However, since the opener (and associated rain events) BEC has slowed significantly. Granted, I have not spent as many hrs/outings on it as last year, but it seems as bad or worse. I'd be interested to hear what other folks are seeing. I have yet to fish the sections the DNR truck stops at ;) They might be producing...

Mike
inland sweep  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:52:19 PM(UTC)
inland sweep

Numbers are still down, but not terrible. I've fished it a couple times this year and averaged 12-15 fish per outing on spinning gear. BEC can fish very tough and I've seen experienced fisherman get their asses kicked. Gotta have your A game to constantly produce there. I never fish the South Valley road portion - don't like that area and it always has people fishing on it.
briz  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 8:14:41 AM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
this morning I got out on a few streams not too far from home in south central dane. Water was high and almost no visibility on first trib. Next trib was running nicely stained and fish were active. Some nice fish were brought to hand in the grass jungles.
Dobber  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:14:31 AM(UTC)
Dobber

Buddy and I went out this morning on it. I debated long and hard spin versus fly, as I've been out practicing the casting on Lake Waubesa near Lake Farm lately and feeling more confident, and went with spin/crawlers. The stretch we were on is our normal spot, and was deeper than previous times over the last couple of years. They've done a lot of cleanup on the banks, so we went into it thinking that it might be slower than previous (less tree shading, etc) and it proved to be on this morning. Saw a couple rises, buddy had one on for a brief moment (and he rarely gets skunked on BEC), but nothing.