Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brookfielder  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:39:37 AM(UTC)
Brookfielder

Excellent, thanks fellas. I suppose I'll take your advice and focus on the stretch between E. Sandy Rock Rd. and Clay Hill Rd. and fish the bends and pools.

Is there a public easement on that stretch? Hard to tell from the DNR map, it looks like there's an easement along Sandy Rock Rd, and smaller section by the Clay Hill Rd. bridge....but not in between the 2. We'll definitely have to stay on solid ground, and I don't want to get run off of someone's land.

Is this area, right at the bend in Clay Hill Rd. a good place to park, Cmac?

UserPostedImage

Also, thanks to everyone for helping me narrow down my options here!

And, what's with the gill lice and what should I do if I find them? Is that a common issue in the DA?

Edited by user Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:53:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jamestheblue  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:01:27 AM(UTC)
jamestheblue

Man

jamestheblue  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:13:15 AM(UTC)
jamestheblue

Man

Not really sure on the easement beyond what this map shows. Anyone know how far it goes? Up to Clay Hill?

File Attachment(s):
gordon.jpg (70kb) downloaded 232 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:23:02 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
jamestheblue wrote:
I just fished there yesterday. Parked at E. Sandy Rock and walked downstream, then up. Upstream is much easier walking along the banks. Some great pools/bends, too. Got a nice brookie, lost something big downstream. The fly you want is a black streamer. 4 or 6 weighted black bugger. First time on this section, but certainly not the last!

Nice Brookie! I'm surprised, I didn't think there were any in Gordon. I may have to move that stream up on my schedule.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Cmac  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:36:20 PM(UTC)
Cmac

Yep, that's the place on Clayhill to park. I've always fished under the assumption that it's easement all the way from E. Sandy Rock. bridge up and around the corner by Clayhill until you come to the barbwire...That's away around the bend and you'll see it change to unimproved real quick. Don't mess with your Dad in there. The section below the bridge is public all the way until the creek is right up against Sandy Rock Rd. That's just before the farms down there. Brue Rd. is public from the bridge up to the barbwire...perhaps higher, I'm not sure. At County 'A" it's pubic up and down for a good long ways, if you park there just don't block the tractor drive...did that once and got yelled at...nice folks actually.
NG_Trout  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:12:10 PM(UTC)
NG_Trout

William Schlafer wrote:
jamestheblue wrote:
I just fished there yesterday. Parked at E. Sandy Rock and walked downstream, then up. Upstream is much easier walking along the banks. Some great pools/bends, too. Got a nice brookie, lost something big downstream. The fly you want is a black streamer. 4 or 6 weighted black bugger. First time on this section, but certainly not the last!

Nice Brookie! I'm surprised, I didn't think there were any in Gordon. I may have to move that stream up on my schedule.

-Bill

x2 I've never seen a brookie in Gordon before and I fish it fairly frequently.
- Hope is not a strategy
William Schlafer  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 6:18:18 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
NG_Trout wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:
jamestheblue wrote:

-Bill

x2 I've never seen a brookie in Gordon before and I fish it fairly frequently.

It may have moved down from German Valley Branch. I know there's been HR work done on that stream and the DNR may have stocked Brook Trout there in the past. I would really like to see Gordon bounce back to it's former glory. It's a hour closer for me than the Crawford, Vernon and Richland county streams.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, March 27, 2015 6:19:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
jamestheblue  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 11:19:51 AM(UTC)
jamestheblue

Man

Guess I got lucky..Smile