Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brookfielder  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:45:23 AM(UTC)
Brookfielder

Hey all, weather's supposed to be cooperative so I'm heading out to Gordon Creek tomorrow, 3/20. I'll be springing my elderly father from his assisted living home in Monroe for a few hours of fishing. I was planning on hitting up Gordon Creek in eastern Iowa Co. We tried the same creek last summer, but got skunked.....hoping for better luck this outing.

Anyone know how the creek is fishing? I'll be using the fly rod, dad will most likely be using worms. Last year we parked at the pull-off near Brue Rd. and fished the creek heading south of the bridge. This year I was thinking of parking along Sandy Rock Rd. (maybe about 1/2 mile north of Brue Rd.) and walking along the stream. Dad can't walk too far, so I want to kinda maximize the chances of good fishing. It looks like there's an easement on that stretch of Gordon Creek and Google Earth seems to show that it's pretty well-defined.

I know some of you are familiar with Gordon Creek......so does this sound like a solid plan? If not, are there other streams worth checking out that are under an hour or so from Monroe?

Thanks!
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:07:34 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I used to fish Gordon quite a bit in the past, but have only fished in once the last couple of years. Trout numbers have been off on Gordon for several seasons now, but that's been the story across the region (due to drought, flood, severe winters).

It's definitely Trout water and both public and private efforts have been made to improve the habitat over the years. This might be the year those efforts show fruit. The stream is primarily Brown Trout water, although the DNR has stocked there in the past, so some spent brooders are also possible. Big Trout have traditionally been taken downstream in the spring where the forage fish are and while the water is cool.

If the weeds are down, it should be reasonably easy to walk the banks. These banks are high in some places and may be unstable, so watch out for that. There are few fences to cross, but nothing too bad. I don't recommend wading as much of the stream bed is soft/silty or egress is difficult.

Let us know how you do. Gordon is on my list of streams to (re)visit this year.

BTW: last time I visited there was a Bald Eagle nesting on the bluff below the upper bridge at Sandy Rock Road. Don't go anywhere near the nest or mama may show you her talons.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Cmac  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:13:02 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Better read up on your Wisco Inland Trout Regs. Now is the " Early Season " As I understand the rules, it's all catch & release and ONLY artificial lures allowed. Wouldn't want Dad to get ticketed.
Cmac  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:19:41 AM(UTC)
Cmac

I fished Gordon Creek Opening Day...fooled a few. E. Sandy Rock Rd. access has nice improved section for quite a ways....Fish were in the bridge pool...just spooky. Eagle is on the nest, you'll see it. Brue Road has nice improvements right there at the bridge. Also below at " A ", there's good access, again nice bridge pools so not too much walking.
Brookfielder  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:29:39 AM(UTC)
Brookfielder

Bill,
We'll definitely be walking the banks, not wading, and I was assuming the weeds would be manageable....or at least not too high to work around. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Bald Eagle, I've got no interest in that kind of drama!

Where is the spring with the forage fish (say, in relation to the Brue Rd. access)? South or north?

We sort of floundered around on the last outing trying to figure out where to fish. For me, that's part of the fun of it but at 83, dad's slowing down a bit! Ideally, we'd each be able to plop down and fish a stretch of the river for awhile, then move on if necessary. The river was gin clear though, it looked like a beautiful fishery....though we didn't spot any.

Edited by user Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:30:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Brookfielder  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:36:38 AM(UTC)
Brookfielder

Cmac,
Thanks for the heads up on the artificial lures. I was aware of the C&R already. Perhaps I'll tie on a San Juan Worm or something....or maybe a PM. We'll come up with something artificial. Last year he just got too tangled up in his fly line to do as much fishing as he used to. And I spent as much time untangling his line as I did fishing. He's out of practice, I guess....timing is all off.

It seems like the pools are where the fish are holding, huh? I've only fished the Driftless a couple of times (I usually head to Michigan) so these meadow streams are a bit new to me.
jamestheblue  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:01:36 AM(UTC)
jamestheblue

Man

I just fished there yesterday. Parked at E. Sandy Rock and walked downstream, then up. Upstream is much easier walking along the banks. Some great pools/bends, too. Got a nice brookie, lost something big downstream. The fly you want is a black streamer. 4 or 6 weighted black bugger. First time on this section, but certainly not the last!
File Attachment(s):
20150318_162603.jpg (270kb) downloaded 155 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Cmac  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:02:13 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Upstream from the E. Sandy Rock Rd. bridge there are quite a few nice bend/plunge pools. If you look upstream there's a big tree couple 100 yards up on the right, that's a great spot. To make the walk shorter & easier, follow the farmers field edge up to where you'd like to start. Following the meanders will wear Dad out quickly. Also nice pools where the stream bends to the right along Clayhill Rd. That's the farm to the north. You can actually park over there and walk in..... saves a shitload of walking.
Cmac  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:05:15 AM(UTC)
Cmac

James, don't see any gill lice ? Hopefully a good sign. That whole 30 acre triangle you fished is for sale. Guy want's serious $$$$$ Property extends from E. Sandy Rock Bridge downstream to where Gordon's comes right up against Sandy Rock Rd. If I only had a bundle !!!!!
jamestheblue  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:08:24 AM(UTC)
jamestheblue

Man

I did not see any gill lice. I saw that for sale sign..what a dream piece of land..wow. Come on lottery!