Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

54 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sasquatch  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:40:43 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
the fish seemed to be actively biting up towards "the horseshoe" and "the logjam" these past few days, so we made the long trek and hit the water about 45minutes later. the first hole we fished is called "the honeyhole", it's the place where i caught my first steelhead over 14years ago, and the reason i fell in love with northwoods trout fishing. nowadays, the honeyhole is just a shell of it's former glorious self, it's mostly filled in with sand from the spring floods, kind of sad. we didn't find any fish in the honeyhole so we crept up to the next hole, a nice little drop-off with 20 year old log fences placed in the river as part of an early stream restoration project. i threw a couple casts of my vibrax through the heart of the hole and was flashed by a really silver fish.i kept working the hole and about 2 minutes later he swung again, only this time the steel found his lip.he tried to stick to the bottom of the hole and didn't really want to come up, but i muscled him up and got him into the shallows. then i quickly noticed...this wasn't a trout, this was a coho salmon! my first salmon of the season, and a nice one too, 21+inches!

Edited by user Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:42:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
21cohofog.JPG (94kb) downloaded 410 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~
sasquatch  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:55:23 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

i put the salmon on the stringer and we continued upstream, with grant now on point. we both caught small trout on and off for the next couple of hours, but didn't see any more salmon. then grant hooked into a nice fish and we could see the silvery basterd jump as he reeled him in. grant slipped in the mud as he reached for this fish but it didnt matter, he had just landed his first salmon of his life, a chunky little 14inch jack...

we now had a stringer of salmon dinner but we still had about another hour of fishing until we reached our jump out. i now went on point and we started to really up our casting count, cuz we were feeling like every hole would be full of salmon. on one of our final holes i hooked into a heavy fish and wrestled him out of his lair, no salmon this time, instead it was a solid 20+inch brown trout! i tried my best to revive the brownie for a good while but she just couldnt get her mojo back and i decided to eat her before the raccoons did...on a happier note i also want to mention that i got a TRIPLE PLAY today, i managed to catch 2 trout species(rainbow,brown) and one salmon species(coho).

File Attachment(s):
grantsalmon.JPG (61kb) downloaded 401 time(s).
golomfish2.JPG (54kb) downloaded 401 time(s).

ilikefood  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:00:30 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sasquatch, glad to see you back here posting about the north woods! Some darn nice fish. Nice to see you showing others a good time on the water.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
sasquatch  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:13:11 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

ilikefood wrote:
Sasquatch, glad to see you back here posting about the north woods! Some darn nice fish. Nice to see you showing others a good time on the water.

...hey thanks man, it feels good to be back...

...yeah, i love takin friends out and puttin em on their first trout or salmon...start the addiction...ThumpUp

sasquatch  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:05:28 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

September 10th 2013

after having tasted the sweet succulent salmon of success the day before, i decided to try and get a jump start on the fishing the next day. the only thing slowing me down was a tiny painted turtle that was in the middle of the road. so i scooped him up and helped him to the other side of the road,away from any vehicles that might want to hurt him, but not before i took some pics of him...

File Attachment(s):
turtle.JPG (95kb) downloaded 321 time(s).
turtlebelly.JPG (107kb) downloaded 322 time(s).
turtleflower.JPG (98kb) downloaded 321 time(s).
shyturtle.JPG (84kb) downloaded 321 time(s).

sasquatch  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:14:15 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

i started downstream from where we had gone yesterday, and it wasn't long before i had caught a few dozen rainbows and browns between 6-12inches. a few holes later and i caught a beautifully colored brown trout with big red spots. he was only about a foot long but he will be an amazing giant in a few years.

an hour or two later and i had reached a feeder creek that i call "frostbite creek" on account of how cold it is. i fished the confluence of the two streams and was rewarded with a nice surprise....a little SPLAKE!

the day was only half over and i had already accomplished one of the harder things to do on the streams up here... the TRIPLE PLAY...i caught three species of trout(rainbow,brown,brook*lake) that live here.

i got out of the creek and started walking along the bank in order to get past a few straight stretches that separate the bigger holes. just as i was about to get back in the water i almost trip over something.... another turtle! only this one is much bigger and much rarer.. a BLANDING'S TURTLE! after rubbing my lure on his shell for good luck, i continue upstream and manage to catch a 15+incher before calling it a day. no keepers today, but definitely a day that i wont forget.

File Attachment(s):
redspots.JPG (86kb) downloaded 318 time(s).
splakey.JPG (86kb) downloaded 317 time(s).
blandingsturtle.JPG (158kb) downloaded 316 time(s).

EddieRivard  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:47:49 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Excellent reporting Sasquatch. In the past few days I have come to look forward to your frequent updates and hope that they continue forever and ever. ThumpUp
TreArrow  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:39:41 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Cool pic of the blandings turtle and nice write up of your adventures. FYI you can report rare turtle sightings to the DNR http://wiatri.net/Invent...volunteer/enterData1.cfm gives the biologists a better idea about how they are doing and what kinda habitat they use.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:25:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cschub13  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:26:50 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Love reading these reports! Good to see someone else stopping for turtles too. I always pull off to get em off the road. Everyone laughs at me but I don't care, saved about a dozen painted and snappers this summer.

Nice find with the Blandings, found one as well this summer out fishing for the first time! Definitely report it to the site TreArrow posted, I did as well with mine. It's tedious, but it's worth the extra time to help them out!

I look forward to the next one!
Dullyouth  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:26:49 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Awww yeah love these reports. I remember your original ones. I need to move back to Duluth so i'm closer to the northland.