Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

49 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sasquatch  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:28:53 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
...well, im back! it's been about a year and a half since i last posted anything here at DTA, so i got a few stories and a memory card full of pics...if you guys enjoy this kinda shite , be sure to keep checking this thread, cuz im gonna try to update it often to get caught up to the present day...

...and a warning for those new to my stories, i am a poor man who eats A LOT of fish (usually 20+ inchers), so there is going to be a pile of pictures of me manhandling big fish...if you cant handle that or are a C&R purist, i calmly urge you to move on and dont click here...

...so without further ado...we continue with...

...THE GITCHE-GUMEE CHRONICLES...

"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~
Sponsor
sasquatch  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:30:42 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

JULY 3rd 2013

the trout season didn't exactly start off with a bang for me. the northwoods were hammered with record amounts of rain and late spring snowfalls. the rivers were far too raging and muddy for any serious angling to be done. i think i might have been able to safely fish three times or less before the fourth of july, but eventually the waters cleared and the fish started biting.

i decided to try and kick-start my season along a stretch of river i like to call "the horseshoe" and finish at a place called "the log-jam" (pronounced "thee" log-jam). it's a nice stretch of water, but in order to get there you have to walk across one of the most tick-infested miles of land that hell has ever conjured up. after picking off upwards of 40 ticks that were crawling on my legs i was ready for my first real fishing excursion of the year. the water was still about a half a foot high but the holes and pools were easily detectable. i fished a few holes and eventually hooked into a nice little rainbow, maybe 11 inches, but it was my first trout of the season so i was really stoked. i quickly released him and kept moving upstream, casting all the while. another 10 minutes of throwing and i got another small bow about the same size as the first one. one more healthy release and i was hurrying up the river to find a deeper pool.

eventually i got to "the log-jam" and found a nice dark hole that looked promising. i splashed my bluefox #3 vibrax and let it sink in the current. i reeled in a few feet of line and then a nice shiny brown started following me in. he backed off at the last minute but i tossed in there again and this time he nailed it... i got him out of the current and landed him, a solid 20+ inch brown trout!

i thumped the brown and put him on my stringer and continued upstream, quickening my pace as the sun was now going down at an accelerating rate. as i was approaching my exit spot, i tossed my lure under an ordinary looking log...and BAM!! another 20+ fish on! ...he jumped a few times, making some very loud splashes upon re-entry. i got him to shore and thumped him, placing him on the stringer alongside his soon to be supper-buddy. the season had now officially started...

Edited by user Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:35:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
20+beasts.JPG (55kb) downloaded 871 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
sasquatch  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:01:17 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

August 15th 2013

the weather continued to wreak havoc with the trout season through july and into august. i only managed to get out on the water maybe half a dozen times during that stretch. around the start of august my friend D came up here from colorado. he brought his fly rods and his gear with him in hopes that he would be able to find some nice fish.

D filled my head with his stories of catching beautiful cutthrouts and kokanees out in the rockies, and i countered with stories and pics of big cohos, kings, and browns from here in the north. eventually he let slip that he had yet to crack the 20inch mark for any species of trout. that didn't really shock me, as most of you already know how hard it is to find 20+inch trout, let alone land them. but i took his confession as a challenge, i wanted to be the one who put him on some giant fish.

our first good chance came around august 15th, we were both off of work and had the whole day to do nothing but fish in the wilderness. we started at "the logjam" and decided to walk our way upstream from there, casting the whole time. it didn't take long for us to both get off the skunk, i caught a little 9inch brown at the first hole and he got a rainbow not much bigger. these weren't really the hawgs we were looking for, but it was nice to be back out on the river catching fish again.

File Attachment(s):
mowlog.JPG (147kb) downloaded 866 time(s).

sasquatch  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:09:38 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

a few hours later and a mile upstream we came across a beautiful bend in the river and a nice hole with logs in it. d was in the front,on point, and i was about 20 yards behind him. i throw my lure through the back-end of the hole and get SLAMMED by a pig of a brown trout... my pole bends and i turn the fish around for a second or two and then the line goes slack and he is gone... sadness...but just for a moment, because just then d gets a hit on his top water iridescent feathery phuck of a fly and tightens the line on a solid fish. the fish jumps skyward three maybe four times then wraps himself around a log in the middle of the pool. d calmly walks out to the log and untangles his line all the while keeping the fish on. the fish makes a run for the current but d somehow convinces him to stay in the hole. he jumps a couple more times before d finally lands him...a solid ~19inch brown trout(it was measured with his in-net tape measure((not the most reliable upon further review)), and one of the best fights i've ever seen on a flyrod.....d revived the fish and it went back home with his tail tucked between his legs...

Edited by user Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:22:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
mowmowbrown.JPG (90kb) downloaded 862 time(s).
mowfish.JPG (66kb) downloaded 859 time(s).

sasquatch  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:42:26 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

September 6th 2013

it was just past the heat of the summer now, and we figured we had to go upstream towards the springs and feeder creeks in order to find the big active fish. after about an hour long hike into the wild and we were ready to wet a line. i caught a tiny rainbow on my first cast and d responded with a bigger one about 2 minutes later. we knew it was gonna be a good day.

File Attachment(s):
bearprintfront.JPG (178kb) downloaded 820 time(s).

sasquatch  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:53:02 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

after about an hour or two of solid hookups with fish between 5-12inches we were starting to grow weary of the tiny fish business. by that time we had probably landed almost 75-100 trout betwixt us,maybe more. we came to a nice curve in the stream and i casted my spinner waaaaaay out. i reeled up the slack and got SMACKED by a chubby brown about 60feet out, 20 feet longer than most of my long hookups. i keep the rod bent and manage to coax the long basterd into the shallows and land him... a slammin 20+inch brown.

File Attachment(s):
bigbrownselfie.JPG (88kb) downloaded 808 time(s).

sasquatch  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:55:16 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

after i had thumped the brown and pulled him on shore we noticed some VERY fresh tracks in the sand,and not just any tracks. there were giant black bear tracks and huge wolf tracks along the sand bar. we snapped a few pics where you can see both bear tracks and wolf tracks, along with a 20+ trout..after we high-tailed outta there, i managed to stroke another 20inch brown right before we called it a day..

File Attachment(s):
bear&wolfbrown.JPG (167kb) downloaded 795 time(s).
double20.JPG (168kb) downloaded 783 time(s).

GreatPyrs  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 4:30:03 AM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Trout, bears, and wildness - doesn't get any better , except for the dinner part Flapper

Thanks for the read, made my Sunday morning!

Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
sasquatch  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:00:08 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

GreatPyrs wrote:
Trout, bears, and wildness - doesn't get any better , except for the dinner part Flapper

Thanks for the read, made my Sunday morning!

Philip

hey no prob philip, i hope you enjoyed it!

...but wait..it does get better! ESPECIALLY the dinner part!!Drool Drool

...if you guys havent tried trout caviar yet, you are missing out on a real delicacy... it's like eating thousands of salty pre-fish at once!OhMyGod Confused Glare LOL ...seriously though, its pretty good...
trout caviar

File Attachment(s):
needbigrknife.JPG (109kb) downloaded 722 time(s).
precaviar.JPG (64kb) downloaded 718 time(s).
therewillbeblood.JPG (99kb) downloaded 715 time(s).
preppin.JPG (122kb) downloaded 711 time(s).
panfryin.JPG (96kb) downloaded 710 time(s).

sasquatch  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:27:44 PM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

September 9th 2013

my buddy grant told me he had never caught a trout so i told him to grab his pole and get in the car. the day started out in a veil of fog as we stepped onto the river a little before noon....

File Attachment(s):
fogriver.JPG (98kb) downloaded 699 time(s).