Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeJuran  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2014 2:10:58 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

Family reunion up in park falls from Wed thru Sunday ... always manage to work in some fishing time while we are up there in between the flow of sarcasm, comments to my brothers about their receding hair lines and farting on a brother's head.

My wife and I got out for the first night and had to work a new spot because someone didn't get the reservation form for the rock pile we normally like to fish in the evening. On a tip from the maintenance guy at the lodge, we worked the south side of a point extending into the lake near the main 'channel' of the old river. The wind had been out of the north all day and it seemed worth a try. This is normally a live bait (leeches) with slip bobbers or bottom jigging for walleyes kinda of lake. Got my wife set up with her bobber rig, tossed out my bobber rig and jigged for over an hour with only a few perch to show.

Grabbed a 3rd rod and put on a #9PM and started with a long toss to the edge of weeds. Bam. First cast, a nice northern.

UserPostedImage

Over the course of the next hour, caught and released a number of northerns and to my surprise five walleyes.

UserPostedImage

Out every evening and early every morning for a couple hours usually produced a couple walleyes, but no major bite like I have seen in the past on this lake. Finished the trip with loading two of my brothers and my dad (85) into the boat and spending the evening on the desired rock pile. Couldn't help but wonder if this might be one of the last fishing outings for my dad. Couldn't pray a large fish onto his line, but I think he just liked sitting in the boat with a couple of his 'boys'.

UserPostedImage

Apologies .... pics from photo bucket not posting properly ....

Edited by user Monday, July 7, 2014 2:13:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fly Me A River
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2014 6:05:58 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Great Report and glade your Dad was there with you and the family
Get Reel
MikeJuran  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:18:58 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

forgot to add that on the first nite out on Wed I didn't check the boat equipment before I left the dock ...NO NET ... and this is NOT a lake you want to forget a net on (Class A Musky lake). So the northern in the first pick had to be played out longer than it should have and grasping him behind the gills is definitely NOT my preferrable way to get a fish in the boat .... And I was pretty sure my wife wasn't going to grab him for me Razz. She was able to man the camera however.
Fly Me A River