Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kschaefer3  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:05:32 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I may need to find some shallow spring crappies when the ice goes out now. I like shore lunch a lot. I also like finely crushed Ritz crackers with salt and pepper. I have messed around with a lot of different combos. It is my opinion that fresh fish breaded in whatever you want and fried is going to be tasty. Obviously fried in the cast iron in butter or bacon greaseThumpUp. The key, no matter how you prepare it, is to serve with cold beer!
trapper  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:16:22 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
I may need to find some shallow spring crappies when the ice goes out now. I like shore lunch a lot. I also like finely crushed Ritz crackers with salt and pepper. I have messed around with a lot of different combos. It is my opinion that fresh fish breaded in whatever you want and fried is going to be tasty. Obviously fried in the cast iron in butter or bacon greaseThumpUp. The key, no matter how you prepare it, is to serve with cold beer!

Kyle could be the son I never had...ThumpUp
Get Reel
Jared  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:18:56 AM(UTC)
Jared

kschaefer3 wrote:

No doubt, I took the beer as a given. It would be like saying "then eat your fish off of a plate". Unnecessary. ThumpUp

Also, to relate to fly fishing, last spring I slaughtered the crappies one night on a little mylar(?) silver bodied streamer with a rabbit fur tail on it that I have no idea where I got. But there it was in and old two sided tackle box, I tied it on and boy did it work.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:21:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
kschaefer3  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:22:22 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

trapper wrote:
kschaefer3 wrote:

Kyle could be the son I never had...ThumpUp

ThumpUp ThumpUp
kschaefer3  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:25:46 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Jared wrote:
kschaefer3 wrote:

No doubt, I took the beer as a given. It would be like saying "then eat your fish off of a plate". Unnecessary. ThumpUp

LOL LOL

Crappies can be really fun in the spring on small streamers! You may accidentally hook a 5 lb bass from it's bed too.

Jared  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:31:35 AM(UTC)
Jared

This was in deep water, they were still suspended, must have been May of last year or even June since the ice didn't go out till then up north. It was a blast though, caught some big crappies that night.

Here's the fly, anyone know what this thing is??

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:33:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
kschaefer3  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:35:22 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Jared wrote:
This was in deep water, they were still suspended, must have been May of last year or even June since the ice didn't go out till then up north. It was a blast though, caught some big crappies that night.

Here's the fly, anyone know what this thing is??

UserPostedImage

Looks like a zonker strip comet...or something of that nature.
Jared  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:40:32 AM(UTC)
Jared

quote]
Looks like a zonker strip comet...or something of that nature.

Cool, thanks Kyle.
-Roderick Haig-Brown
tdoran  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:34:39 AM(UTC)
tdoran

Recent video from tightline productions (best tying videos on the web, in my opinion):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avsd37mIVrMs
Jared  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:08:45 PM(UTC)
Jared

tdoran wrote:
Recent video from tightline productions (best tying videos on the web, in my opinion):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avsd37mIVrMs

Yep, that's it tdoran, thanks.
-Roderick Haig-Brown