Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

48 Pages«<4445464748>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LittleGrumpy  
#451 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:17:58 AM(UTC)
LittleGrumpy
Rank: Midge

Joined: 2/12/2019(UTC)
Posts: 5
Man
Location: Minnesota

Thanks: 1 times
Hi all,

I'm Conner. Have been reading this forum for a long while and finally decided to join. Fly fishing for trout is my favorite way to fish, but I love it all (from bluegills to soaking cutbait for catfish...). I've been fishing since I could walk and fly fishing for about nine years (which means nothing besides I'm stubborn and love it too much). Also enjoy tying flies and good fishing literature. Most of my fishing happens in SE MN but I also love the Boundary Waters and enjoy a good fishing trip. Mousing is my favorite way to chase trout.

Note on the username: Little Grumpy was my "trail name" as a BWCA guide last summer. Apparently I look grumpy if tired or haven't fished for a while, but really I'm a happy person :) "Grumpy" was also the trail name of an older Appalachian Trail thru-hiker I met one weekend on the AT and look up to - despite cold wind and rain, Grumpy was one of the most joyous people on the trail despite the conditions, a virtue I look up to.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here!
Gurth  
#452 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:37:14 AM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,299
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 116 times
Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Welcome Grumpy.

Love the BWCAW. Used to go almost every year. Haven’t been since 2005. Life happened haha.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#453 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:57:34 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 7/24/2011(UTC)
Posts: 3,461
Location: Sussex Wisconsin

Thanks: 156 times
Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Welcome to the forum.


-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#454 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 12:15:23 AM(UTC)
WI-fly
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 9/19/2015(UTC)
Posts: 508
Man
Location: La Crosse, WI

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LittleGrumpy Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm Conner. Have been reading this forum for a long while and finally decided to join. Fly fishing for trout is my favorite way to fish, but I love it all (from bluegills to soaking cutbait for catfish...). I've been fishing since I could walk and fly fishing for about nine years (which means nothing besides I'm stubborn and love it too much). Also enjoy tying flies and good fishing literature. Most of my fishing happens in SE MN but I also love the Boundary Waters and enjoy a good fishing trip. Mousing is my favorite way to chase trout.

Note on the username: Little Grumpy was my "trail name" as a BWCA guide last summer. Apparently I look grumpy if tired or haven't fished for a while, but really I'm a happy person :) "Grumpy" was also the trail name of an older Appalachian Trail thru-hiker I met one weekend on the AT and look up to - despite cold wind and rain, Grumpy was one of the most joyous people on the trail despite the conditions, a virtue I look up to.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here!


Welcome Grumpy. I didn't get a chance to mouse last year, but I love that too.

The BWCA is an amazing resource. My last trip was 2017 with my son and 5 other friends. We camped at the West end of Sea Gull but did do some day trips beyond.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
NBrevitz  
#455 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 2:09:34 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,505
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 54 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
badger3101  
#456 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:48:20 PM(UTC)
badger3101
Rank: Midge

Joined: 3/7/2019(UTC)
Posts: 3
Location: Fitchburg

Hey Folks, just stumbled upon this forum and have enjoyed soaking up a bunch of knowledge throughout the afternoon. My wife and I recently bought a house in Fitchburg, just outside of Madison. I'm hoping to get into fly fishing for trout throughout the driftless region this year. I've always enjoyed fishing: I got started fishing with my dad and grandpa, who taught me to fly fish for panfish in northwestern Wisconsin. Starting around 14, I caught the muskie bug and chased those pretty exclusively for the past 15 years. I don't have a boat down here, so plan on hiking and chasing trout on foot for the time being. I'm hoping to amass some knowledge over the next few years as I just had my first son last year and would love to introduce him to fishing when he comes of age. Look forward to learning from all of you and sharing anything I can along the way.

Matt
Gurth  
#457 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2019 10:08:00 PM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,299
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 116 times
Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Welcome!

Some great fishing down here. Grab a kayak and you can still chase musky on smaller waters too.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#458 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2019 2:20:14 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,505
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 54 times
Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: badger3101 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Folks, just stumbled upon this forum and have enjoyed soaking up a bunch of knowledge throughout the afternoon. My wife and I recently bought a house in Fitchburg, just outside of Madison. I'm hoping to get into fly fishing for trout throughout the driftless region this year. I've always enjoyed fishing: I got started fishing with my dad and grandpa, who taught me to fly fish for panfish in northwestern Wisconsin. Starting around 14, I caught the muskie bug and chased those pretty exclusively for the past 15 years. I don't have a boat down here, so plan on hiking and chasing trout on foot for the time being. I'm hoping to amass some knowledge over the next few years as I just had my first son last year and would love to introduce him to fishing when he comes of age. Look forward to learning from all of you and sharing anything I can along the way.

Matt


Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of Trout water within an hour or so of Madison, and you're only about an hour from some great fishing for Salmon and Steelhead on Lake Michigan tribs. Only a few weeks out nowBigGrin
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#459 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2019 3:19:33 AM(UTC)
Gurth
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 11/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,299
Man
Location: Madison

Thanks: 116 times
Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of Trout water within an hour or so of Madison,



Yep... drive at least an hour before you start fishing. Laugh Flapper

Dang... forgot about wanting to hit the LM tribs this spring.

Was already stressing on how I was gonna balance Driftless trout with early season bass as they first move into the shallows. Now I gotta maybe mix in some chrome?

Also - saw a show where they were fishing on the lake up by maybe Manitowoc out where a trib dumps and getting browns. Would like to try that in the yak.

I need to retire.



.

Edited by user Friday, March 8, 2019 4:19:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#460 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2019 4:38:52 AM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,052
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

I need to retire.


Screw money get fishes.

Edited by moderator Friday, March 8, 2019 5:51:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Profanity erased.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Users browsing this topic
Similar Topics
New Member Introduction (Fly Fishing )
by linzd19 3/14/2016 7:30:47 PM(UTC)
Help Requested (and new member introduction) (General Trout & Fishing Discussion)
by hek 1/6/2016 5:45:09 PM(UTC)
48 Pages«<4445464748>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2019, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.557 seconds.