Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:08:01 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I've done some muskie fishing, but most of it has been in the late Spring/early Summer; I've only dabbled a few times chasing muskies in the Fall so this is pretty new to me. There is a 300+ acre lake not far from home that holds some big fish. This month, if you rent a boat for a day, you get another full day rental later in the month for free. That's enough to make me take a couple of days off work to see if I can find a muskie.

Muskies this time of year are all about food aren't they? Trying to pack on weight for the winter. The lake in question is mostly a gizzard shad forage base. I'd guess I should be trying to find schools of gizzard shad, shouldn't I? They-the shad-are supposed to be pretty sensitive to water temps: they don't do well for extended periods of time in cold water. I've seen schools of them so thick it appeared to be a solid mass of fish hundreds of yards wide on Lake Michigan during the winter near some power plant discharges. So dark bottoms or the north end of the lake, maybe a creek inlet, anywhere I can find warmer water, would be a good place to start?

I'm sure there are other questions that haven't even occurred to me. Any advice from muskie anglers here would be very helpful and welcome. Thanks.
Sponsor
LenH  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:04:47 PM(UTC)

wallybanfi@gmail.com

ask Wally

He is muskie guide.

Tell him Len sent you.
Pete  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:36:11 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Len, thanks a lot for the referral. I've emailed him with my questions; let's see what advice he gives. Thanks again for opening this door.
flyfishingfreak  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:25:12 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

finding a school of shad would be good, as there will be predators nearby, but if you can't find the baitfish, look for drop offs, weed lines, any shorline structures. If theres a spot you know that fishes well for walleye, that spot will be good for muskie in the fall.