Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Wyoming Troutication 2013 Options
EddieRivard
#1 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 4:05:43 PM

The Battle of Little Bighorn, commonly referred to as Custer's Last Stand was fought in late June of 1876 near the Little Bighorn River in the Eastern Montana Territory. George Armstrong Custer and United States 7th Cavalry lost to Sitting Bull and his Sundance Alliance of Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapaho warriors. 137 years and a little more than a month later a battle with many similarities would be waged in the Bighorn National Forest on North Branch of the Tongue River not too far south of the aforementioned conflict.

The four tribes of Cutthroat Trout native to Wyoming; the Yellowstone Cutthroat, Snake River Cutthroat, Bonneville Cutthroat and Colorado River Cutthroat, have been fighting a 100 year war against the invading Brook, Brown and Rainbow Trout as well as the humans that brought them there. A brand new and highly unlikely Sundance Alliance would be forged between the Four Tribes of Cutthroat and 5 guys from the upper Midwest intent on ridding Wyoming of these exotic species of trout.

The outline of the mission we received from Swimming Bull was simple. We were to survey the amounts of Brooks, Browns and Rainbows in the river and identify any strongholds that existed. Strategic communication would occur through nuclear pulses transmitted via our secret weapon. It looks like a crazy terrestrial made from colored foam and rubber legs but the Chernobyl Ant is anything but. Created by the catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on April 26th 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine the Chernobyl ant has proven itself deadly to all species of trout from coast to coast. It catches trout like butter on toast.

These five fabulous full brimmed hat wearing fisherman were fin picked by Swimming Bull specifically to carry out this operation.

This brook trout was caught and photographed by my cousin Spencer Prusi.

A photo I took of a little tree on the prairie.

A little house on the prairie

Locked and loaded.

I was walking along the stream on the right without the aid of artificial light hoping to entice some brookies with my mouse imitation in the darkness. I looked over to my left and saw a Bull Moose not more than 7 feet away from me not seeming to mind my presence next to him. I backed up thirty feet and took this photo before high tailing it out of there. You may need to adjust your brightness in order to see the moose as getting a perfect shot was not a high concern at the time.

The mouse pattern has proven its effectiveness during the day as well.

The Chernobyl Ant Strikes again!

The walk down into the Tongue River Canyon is a treacherous one. Do not attempt if you are pregnant.

I was happy to be there when my brother Sam caught his first ever trout. What a dandy!

This Rainbow was caught using a Muddler Minnow. I was amazed at the Muddler's effectiveness on the Tongue.

I was walking on the hillside high above the river and I heard a noise. This coyote was walking less than seven feet behind me. Its like he was either tame, rabid or just curious and hadn't developed a fear of humans.

He requested Green Olives on his Pizza.

In Wyoming you are allowed to keep 16 Brook Trout. Mark would have an absolute Hay Day.

A scene from the North Tongue Meadow. If you look at the lower portion of the river you can see a Sandhill Crane. These birds are the Ostriches of the American West. I wouldn't recommend effing with them.

I was glad I netted this one before the Black Dungeon came out of its mouth.

Another Cut bites the dust. In order for our cover not to be blown we were required to catch a few cuts to make it less obvious as to what our mission was.

Sometimes I like to impersonate a Forest Ranger. The fines I collected from the unwitting residents of Wyoming more than paid for the trip out there.

A mule deer bounds into the forest.

Night Scene.

The Streamer in three of these photos was my top producer of the trip. I also caught a fish on that green thing. I purchased that Streamer at the Fly Shop of the Bighorns in Sheridan Wyoming. When I asked the guy who was working if he could help me pick out a couple Streamers for the North Tongue he looked at me like I was crazy because the North Tongue is known for some of the best dry fly fishing in the United States. I bought a few anyways and really slammed the fish on the streamers. The crystal clear waters of the North Tongue were an ideal training ground for perfecting my streamer techniques. Time and time again I would see the fish turn around if I stopped stripping line in. If you have a fish following your streamer whatever you do don't stop stripping. The fish will lose interest and turn around.

All good things must come to an end. We actually ended up heading back to Minnesota a few days earlier than I originally planned so I didn't get to fish the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone. I decided that my vacation didn't have to end so I used the rest of it to explore new waters in Western Wisconsin which ended up resulting in the acquisition of my first 20 inch Brown Trout. I also found some really cool new spots and identified other new places that I have yet to explore.

kschaefer3
#2 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 4:18:35 PM

Awesome and hilarious as usual, Eddie! Looks like you had a great trip. Mission accomplished?
MikeJuran
#3 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 4:25:47 PM

I want to join the Wyoming Troutification Team ...
Fly Me A River
EddieRivard
#4 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 4:42:37 PM

kschaefer3 wrote:
Awesome and hilarious as usual, Eddie! Looks like you had a great trip. Mission accomplished?

I'm glad you liked it. We won some ground but reinforcements may be necessary to complete the mission.

MikeJuran wrote:
I want to join the Wyoming Troutification Team ...

I'll probably be doing some fishing this weekend. When I do I'll tie on a Chernobyl and forward your request to Swimming Bull.
MikeJuran
#5 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 7:09:17 PM

Eddie wrote:
I'll probably be doing some fishing this weekend. When I do I'll tie on a Chernobyl and forward your request to Swimming Bull.

Eddie, this is 'moving' weekend and if I tied on a Chernobyl and went fishing my wife would most likely go Chernobyl on me upon my return - and i would be moving once again! .... But I am there in kindred-spirit with you and Swimming Bull .. carry on the good fight, reinforcements are on the way.
Fly Me A River
Trouts
#6 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 11:03:06 PM

Great story Eddie. Those are some amazing pictures. Being that close to a moose would have given me a heart attack.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”

William Schlafer
#7 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 11:31:44 PM

Really good stuff Eddie. I hope to fish out west someday like this.

ThumpUp

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
ilikefood
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:39:11 AM

Echoing everyone else, great story and photos. Although you really should have gotten a little closer to the moose for the photo op, it is really hard to make him out. LOL

Have you fished the Chernobyl ant back here in WI and MN lately? Any luck with it?
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
EddieRivard
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:15:34 AM

Thanks for the compliments fellas! BigGrin

ilikefood wrote:
Have you fished the Chernobyl ant back here in WI and MN lately? Any luck with it?

I used it with success as the dry part of a dry/dropper combo many times before I started primarily fishing streamers and fished heavily with nymphs. You can only see a trout go after a traditional strike indicator so many times before you decide that whatever you are going to be watching has to have a hook unless you are fishing a three nymph rig or the situation necessitates a stealthy presentation.

One time I was fishing a small river in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with my cousin Spencer who's favorite fly of all time is the Chernobyl Ant. I couldn't believe how aggressively he was fishing it and was still catching fish. There was on instance were he was standing above a small bend in the river where he had clearly spooked every single fish. A smallish 7-8 inch brook trout was cowering underneath a small stick that was submerged in the gin clear water. He slammed the Chernobyl ant on the water with all his might and within a fraction of a second that brookie darted from underneath it's hiding stick and engulfed the ant immediately hooking itself. Since then my last ditch effort on a hole where the fish have stopped biting has been an over the top approach similar to the one I saw Spencer use on a water that Robert Traver probably frequented in his time. It doesn't work every time but it has worked enough times that I will continue to employ it.

One other thing about Chernobyl ants and other terrestrial patterns that utilize foam as one of the main components is that colors you wouldn't expect to work can sometimes be more effective than dull natural colors like black and tan. Purple, Yellow and Blaze Orange have all earned rows in my Terrestrial Box.

Here is a photo of a foam thing I tied last winter. I ended up giving it to Spencer while we were out in Wyoming this last time and he actually caught a trout on it.

FryinPanDan
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:29:56 AM

Dude, if you're going do posts like that, start a blog on Blogger or Wordpress.com or something. Excellent stories and writing! Really enjoy your posts.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA