Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Finally Did It Options
EddieRivard
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:12:55 AM

All summer long I've been focusing my efforts on using streamers to target trophy Brown Trout in the Driftless Area. This morning I was out again peddling my wares on a Western Wisconsin Trout Water and finally hit paydirt. My first 20" Brown was caught using a Yellow Sex Dungeon Streamer. After seeing him chase an Autumn Splendor Wooly bugger only to turn around I tried one more cast with the Bugger and decided that a change in lure was necessary. Tied on the Dungeon and made a bad cast and the first try but on the second try I used a tension cast a placed that dungeon right where I wanted it and immediately started a "Jerk Strip" retrieve. When I saw that trout come out of nowhere and hit it I said to myself, "C'mon Eddie just don't mess this one up". I had it netted in pretty short order and did my best to get a couple quality photos before attempting to release it. Unfortunately I tried for over an hour to revive it and failed so I brought it to the taxidermist to have it mounted. I was glad I was able to get a hold of one that my friend recommended on a Sunday. I brought it there immediately after leaving the body of water I was fishing. I usually don't mind naming the bodies of water I fish but this time I have to keep my lips sealed.
I would like to thank all the people who's advice has helped me and who's writing has inspired me. Thank you Mark, LenHarris, Kschaefer3, Kojdads, Mnphatts, William Schlafer, Shatner, FryinPanDan, Trapper, Jake Andrle NBrevitz and all the other people who post and comment on this forum. I often think of my Driftless brotherhood when I am fishing, exploring and trying new and innovative ways to fish for trout.

Sincerely, -Eddie Rivard

If you do not have a lucky feather may I suggest that you find one and put it in your hat. You can even call it macaroni if you want. One thing I've learned is that the goofier you look the more likely people are to be nice to you. On a recent outing in Wisconsin I was walking through a small town carrying my fly rod with my full fly fishing get up on. A local pulled up along side of me a rolled down his window. When I told him where I was walking to fish and what my goals were he redirected me to a spot he thought would be much better suited for me and what I wanted to catch. Also when in small towns in Wisconsin it is good to never let on that you are from Minnesota or that you are a City Slicker. I have found that putting on a Packers hat or even wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey can fool even the most discerning Wisconsinite. Just a little tidbit I learned along the way.

The net that I used to land my lunker used to have a nylon mesh bag. I changed it to rubber one day last winder and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I haven't had to pull one sticker burr off it all summer long. I also seems to get hung up a lot less when walking through the forest. It would also be wise to never waste your money on a magnetic net release mechanism. "Rose Creek Net Release" for life baby!

http://www.driftlesstrou..._Net-Rubberization.aspx

Notice the life jacket. I've decided to start bringing it along whenever exploring new water. On a recent outing to a stream I had never fished that was less than five feet wide in most parts I stumbled into an 8 foot deep hole. I couldn't help but think of the what if's. What if my foot became tangled up in a root with my head slightly below the water and I wasn't able to free myself in time. Better off looking like a dork with a life jacket. I'll probably be purchasing one of those CO2 powered ones soon. Has anyone ever heard of them failing?

Very fast lens. Very short focal length. Why can't I just have it all?
flyfishingfreak
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:57:09 AM

Nice fish man! I usually use darker colored streamers personally, but i found a yellow sex dungeon this year and always did really well with it... then i ended up loosing it to a northern.
Mark Dahlquist
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 11:40:15 AM

I like the last photo the best. Grinning ear to ear. Cool looking fish. Looks like an evil morey eel. Sweet kype. A little mud makes the shot look even cooler. Congratulations on your first of many bigs to come!
-Mark
Board Owner

KojDads
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:23:16 PM

Great job Eddie! ThumpUp Those are some awesome pics and a great looking fish! love the kype!
I will always trade 20 average sized fish for "the one" 20 plus....
mbchilton
#5 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:44:20 PM

Streamer fishing is Zero or Hero. You were the hero this time. Congrats on a great catch.
JDWinberg
#6 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 2:36:32 PM

Very nice! Great looking fish and great report! Congrats!
kschaefer3
#7 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 3:09:33 PM

I'm pumped for you Eddie! You put in as lot of time and it finally paid off. Want to teach me how to do that?
Pete
#8 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 3:14:04 PM

Awesome fish, congratulations! Although the bad news is that average sized fish and tiny brook trout will cause you to shrug your shoulders; it's hard to get excited about other fish after a 20 inch brown is brought to hand.

Interesting to hear that you caught it on a yellow streamer. I've read repeatedly that yellow is a good color for big browns, especially in the autumn as they prepare to spawn and get territorial. Just curious: where in the watershed did you catch your bruiser? Lower stretchs or farther upstream? That kype makes him look as if he was preparing to run usptream and fertilize some eggs.
William Schlafer
#9 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 3:45:25 PM

Congrats Eddie! The big streamers catch the big Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
EddieRivard
#10 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:16:10 PM

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
I like the last photo the best. Grinning ear to ear. Cool looking fish. Looks like an evil morey eel. Sweet kype. A little mud makes the shot look even cooler. Congratulations on your first of many bigs to come!

He wasn't muddy until he flew out of my hands right before this shot was taken. If the fight had lasted a bit longer I assume that the photo session would have been an easier dealing. It was like trying to get a kid to sit still during church immediately after them downing a 20 ounce Mountain Dew. Nearly impossible.