Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:13:51 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

I met up with some good friends of mine Monday at Whitewater State Park near Elba MN. Having many options of places to fish within such a short distance was daunting to say the least. I was glad that a little bird had told me that, "The North Branch of the Whitewater might be worth checking out".

Throughout my trout fishing career I have faced many, "trials and tribulations". Thankfully I have also enjoyed quite a few, "trails and tributaries". One thing I have found in this stretch of time is that if you want to convince your buddies to go to a certain river the best way to do that is to lie to them about how awesome it is.

If you are really into Jungle Fishing and lots of practice casting then this little gem of a river may just be your very own Paradise City. Welcome to the Jungle.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

If a Sex Dungeon could ever serve as the proverbial, "Light at the end of the tunnel", then this would be that case.
UserPostedImage

From the moment an adolescent trout first hears of the so-called Sex Dungeon he has to see it for himself.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

On the way home I stopped in Wabasha around 1:20 am to fill up with gas. The Mayflies were out in full force. One of those times where a guy wishes that he had brought his fly rod.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:58:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:17:38 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

In an effort to preemptively answer Mark's questions I will say that my buddy who was casting a small rainbow colored Mepps did catch at least one brook trout. The ratio of browns to brooks was around 7 to 1.

Edited by moderator Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:59:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark Dahlquist  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:50:06 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I did not know there are brook trout in there. I've only dinked around the North Branch a couple of times and that was just west of Elba of the gravel road. A couple of bridges however a campground and a popular family fishing spot so I've since passed it up. Looks like once you hiked through the jungle the stream was decent sized. Nice looking water. Guessing you went further upstream and had re place all to yourselves.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:52:20 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Who doesn't like a good sex dungeon, right? How many did you end up with?

If you're on the stretch that I think you were, I haven't seen that this time of year. Looks pretty gnarly walking through some of it though.
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:22:34 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

kschaefer3 wrote:
How many did you end up with?

The one I photographed was the only one I landed. I had a confirmed swipe on a blue and white Clouser but it was pretty slow going. My one friend who was casting the Mepps caught 7 or 8 and my other buddy who was also fly fishing laid an egg. It seems like the fish that were there were holding in the deeper slow moving pools and the water was far from being clear.

After my buddies left shortly before dark I had a decision to make. I could either drive home or fish for two more hours in the dark and then drive home. I figured how many times would I find myself in Whitewater country at dusk this summer so I put on my dry waders and tied on a Moorish Mouse pattern. As soon as I made it back to the river I set the mouse in the water where I was about to put my feet and jiggled it a little. Slam!!!!!!!!! A trout hit that mouse with the fury of a thousand angry hornets but failed to plunge the hook into its flesh.

It was quite dark when I initially made it back to the river but soon after my arrival the moon made its appearance. If it wasn't a full moon it was pretty dang near because I had to be careful where I cast my shadow. The cool night air filled my heart and mind with splendor and made me forget about the dangers lurking nearby in hill country.

My memory of the hill country hazards would be refreshed by encounters with Aliens from another planet as well as a gang of Whitewater Country locals who seemed to think that I had a pretty good pig impression. Quick thinking on my part and a little help from a family of Racoons who remembered me from earlier in the day when I swerved to missed them during an ill timed highway crossing would allow me to get out of this bungle in the jungle. We devised a scheme that resulted in the Extra Terrestrials and the White Water Mountain boys feuding something reminiscent of the Hatfields and McCoys. The ruse lasted long enough for me to engage in three more splashes from hungry trout without hooking any of them.

We will have to get out mousing again sometime soon.

kschaefer3  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:20:54 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

LOL You do have a way with words, Eddie.

Quote:
We will have to get out mousing again sometime soon.
That sounds like a good idea. At least you were getting splashes. My heart damn near stops every time I hear a crash on a mouse.