Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:38:40 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

I hadn't fished with my buddy Kevin in a while so I called him Sunday night and we decided that we would fish today after work. We had originally talked about hitting the South Fork of the Hay River in Barron county but it took longer to get out of the cities than we planned and we wanted to maximize our time on the water. Without naming any names there is a bonafide trout river that flows through Saint Croix County who's name rhymes with pillow.

When we pulled up to our first spot Kevin was ready to go as soon as he grabbed his rod out of the back of my vehicle. He was wearing sandals so there was no need for him to suit up. I hurried to get all my crap together because I didn't want to keep him waiting and am notorious for being slow to get ready. Once I reached the point where all I had left to do was choose a fly Kevin asked, "What fly are you going to use?". I looked down at my fly patch and the first fly I noticed was the Mickey Finn. Such a simple and effective pattern pretty much any beginners fly tying book probably has instructions on tying this staple pattern. I had tied this one myself at some point last winter. I always can tell what flies I tied because of the imperfections that I add in. Also I had never caught a fish on this fabled pattern.

On my fifth cast into Western Wisconsin's premier trout fishing river I caught a nice little Rainbow on the Mickey Finn. It was the first Rainbow that I have caught this year and whenever I catch a Rainbow I think of rain. Whenever I think of rain I think of my favorite song, "Chocolate Rain". When I first heard Tay Zonday sing, "Chocolate Rain, some stay dry while others feel the pain" it was almost as good as when I caught my first Rainbow Trout on a fly.

Felled by the Mickey Finn
UserPostedImage

This rivers name rhymes with pillow.
UserPostedImage

"Inspector Trout"-"Workin on a mystery, runnin wherever it leads".
UserPostedImage

After fishing my Mickey Finn for a few minutes without any luck I decided that it was time for a change. Upon opening my fly box I noticed a Muddler Minnow that my dad had given me. I can always tell when a fly was tied by my dad because they are always awesome and perfect. I wasn't long before I was reeling in a pretty little Brook Trout that looked like it would fit well in my frying pan. Soon after that I added a nice looking Rainbow Trout to the Creel that I also fooled with the Muddler Minnow.

He thought the Muddler Minnow was a real minnow. Stupid trout.
UserPostedImage

Here's Kevin working a pool.
UserPostedImage

I thought these were some Fabulous Ferns.
UserPostedImage

This pool looked like it would hold a lunker.
UserPostedImage

I thought this streamer would help me catch a lunker. I did not catch a lunker with it. What a ripoff.
UserPostedImage

Dinner
UserPostedImage

The end.

Edited by moderator Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:23:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:14:03 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

Ha Ha. Chocolate rain. Thank you for that, I thought I had stricken that song from memory.

Nice post, can't wait until I get to make my next trip over. Keep 'em coming!
Mark Dahlquist  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:04:42 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Did you catch just a few trout then? Will you go back? Rhymes with pillow. Now the secret is out. Thanks a lot!
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
EddieRivard  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:29:13 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

In total I caught the one Brook Trout, two Rainbows and two Creek Chub. I tried to take a photo of one of the Chubs that attacked a Black Wooly Bugger but he jumped out of my hands while I was removing my camera from the dry bag. I also had what looked like a monster Chub break me off but it was mainly due to knot failure and my use of 5X which I rarely use.

I have to go back someday because I have, "Bend Syndrome". Until I've seen a river in it's entirety I always wonder what lies just beyond the next bend. I also see the potential for a "Poor Mans Trout Slam". A "Poor Mans Trout Slam" is when you catch a Brookie, Brown, Rainbow and Creek Chub in the same outing.

While the Kinni and the Rush have been scoured of insect life those looking to find some hatch activity might consider fishing rivers with names that rhyme with pillow. The bugs were abundant.

Mark Dahlquist  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:26:00 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I fixed the title for you. There are also some dandy football shaped smalles to he had in the Pillow River. In particular there is one stretch where I'm told smallies and the occasional gigantic brown live side by side. A low numbers game for sure but you never know unless you try. Like gambling, sometimes the payout is big but you have to put in your time. When you find chubs and you know trout exhist that's a good sign that a lunker might be around. If you read the Humohrey & Shogren book I believe Engel shocked one such fish years a go.

Edited by user Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:28:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
donjuan  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:25:19 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Great report Eddie. Those stupid trout, always eating fake minnows..

Bend Syndrome is tough on a long body of water like the Pillow. So many bends, so little time.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 4:17:04 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The "Pillow" has Brookies? Do you figure it came in from one of the tribs that have wild populations?
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."