Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:33:58 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

I had originally planned on fishing somewhere Saturday morning but with my niece Avynn's 7th birthday party occurring at 11am and working past 10pm on Friday I knew that squeezing in a fishing outing and making it to the birthday party on time were a statistical improbability. While the party was winding down I got a text from my good buddy Nick inquiring about my plans for Sunday. I would be surprised if I ever got a text from Nick that wasn't fishing related so in short order we planned on hitting the Kinni Canyon at first light Sunday morning. I set my four alarm clocks for 2:25am on Sunday which would give me enough time to take a shower and be ready for Nick to pick me up at 3am.

I remember hearing about a house in New Orleans that's called the, "Rising Sun" and at 4:45am as we reached the banks of the Kinni I was reminded that we have one of those in Wisconsin as well. I have been on a bit of a Streamer kick lately and today would start no differently. We fished downstream at a brisk pace with plans of getting to our turn around point before it got too light out. I was casting and testing numerous streamer patterns while Nick was having luck nymphing. I remembered the morning years ago when after seeing me catch twenty fish to his zero I finally was able to convince Nick to let me tie on a Nympth Rig for him. He has been Nymphing like a maniac ever since.

It was very evident that high water has graced the canyon recently. I hope this wont affect the parsnip harvest too much this fall.
UserPostedImage

I like to think of Parsnip as the fireworks of the forest.
UserPostedImage

Nick working a run with his nymph.
UserPostedImage

It wasn't long before we reached the point where we turn around and start heading back upstream. Nick had already brought a few trout to hand and I'm pretty sure I was still laying an egg at that point which prompted me to do the unthinkable. Soon after tying on a three nymph rig I was rewarded by catching a small brown trout on a size 16 pheasant tail nymph.

UserPostedImage

After fishing nymphs for about twenty more minutes without any luck I decided that If I am not going to catch any fish I might as well throw caution to the wind and get some more practice at casting my streamers into the wind. I tied on a big ugly looking Streamer that Robert Hawkins picked out for me. He is the new owner of Bob Mitchell's fly shop in Lake Elmo MN. My skepticism quickly turned to optimism when I was catching fish on this ugly little bug.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Soon Nick was joining in on the Streamer Bonanza with his size eight black wooly bugger. Over the course of the next hour and a half it seemed like he brought twenty fish to hand on that thing. Simple yet effective. At 9:42 am we had our first encounter with boaters. These two explorers seemed to be having a hell of a time canoeing with the high fast water.

UserPostedImage

Another one bites the dust at the hands of the Streamer Tweener. Tweener is another word for, "In between". On any given day on the water I am always trying different things never seeming to settle on one fly or approach. Constantly in flux and shifting between feeling pathetic and planning my acceptance speech to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. To be honest I hope this feeling goes on as long as I am able to fit into my waders and hit the water with friends and foe alike. Not long before landing this fish I had attached a sinking tip to the end of my floating seven weight line because I wanted to get my streamer down faster. I've had a few of these taking up space in my vest for years but hadn't used them until now. It seemed to make a heck of a difference and I am sure that this sinking feeling I had is going to be around for a while.

UserPostedImage

If you ever decide to dump out all of your fly boxes to organize the collection you have assembled you will find that they will divide well into five distinct categories. Dry Flies, Terrestrials, Nymphs, Streamers and Wet Flies. Nymphs, Streamers and Wet flies all sink if they are tied correctly while Dry Flies and Terrestrials are typically fished on the waters surface. After losing they Streamer that Robert Hawkins picked out for me as well as my black wooly bugger it was getting close to noon which was our planned time to head back to civilization. I looked down at my fly patch and looking back at me was the Pass Lake Wet Fly. The Pass Lake Wet Fly is much heralded from coast to coast and catches fish like butter on toast but I hadn't experienced much luck with it until this moment. It took me by suprise, I knew that it felt it too, by the look in its eyes. I don't know if it was the sinking tip or the water clarity but I was soon wishing that I had started the day with the Pass Lake. After tying it on for the final eight minutes of fishing I landed two fish including this 14 inch Brown Trout. It seems like whenever I hook into a Brown over 14 there is always a moment where I feel as though I am one step closer to matching Mark's record for the most 20 inchers on the DTA. Today wouldn't be a day where I would put a notch in the proverbial headboard but any day where I feel that I not only had fun but also became a better fisherman is always a good day in my book.

I never realize how awesome I am until I see photos of myself with trout.
UserPostedImage

Thanks dad for tying this Pass Lake Wet Fly for me!
UserPostedImage

By catching trout on Nympths, Streamers and Wet Flies today I was able to complete my first "SUB SURFACE TRIFECTA". This feat has only been accomplished a handful of times by since it's origination in 1973. Between Nick and I we saw two rises in the 7 hours that we were on the river. Soon I hope to make a go for the FIVE FOR FLY GOOD TIME COOL DUDE CHALLENGE where you have to catch at least one trout on a Dry Fly, a Terrestrial, a Wet Fly, a Streamer and a Nymph all during one day on the water. As far as I know this has never been done.

THE END Unsure

Edited by moderator Saturday, September 7, 2013 8:01:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:17:12 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Great report as usual, Eddie! Glad you found some willing fish. That streamer looks nice! Come September, you bay be able to complete your "FIVE FOR FLY GOOD TIME COOL DUDE CHALLENGE". Actually, I have heard reports of some terrestrial activity recently, go do it today!
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:14:15 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Thanks Kyle! Although I do plan on completing the, "FIVE FOR FLY GOOD TIME COOL DUDE CHALLENGE", at some point this summer it may have to wait because breaking the, "20 Inch Brown Trout Barrier" is still #1 on my priority list. I'm probably going to give it another go on the 4th in honor of our nations independence. Maybe I'll even catch it on something similar to that, "Old Glory" red, white and blue streamer that you tied up. Wouldn't that be something!
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:39:04 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Your enthusiasm and light-hearted humor is unmatched. You are clearly one happy trout fisherman who's positive influence on the DTA community is highly apprciated. Many can learn from you including yours truly.

Any brook trout caught in the canyon? Did you get up ass early in hopes for a chance at some bigger fish or do you just prefer mornings like many folks? Fly fishers generally don't get up at 2:30 unless you are Andy Weaverling hunting Moby Dick.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
HookJaw  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:55:53 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
Your enthusiasm and light-hearted humor is unmatched. You are clearly one happy trout fisherman who's positive influence on the DTA community is highly apprciated. Many can learn from you including yours truly.

Absolutely what I was just thinking, MD.
Always great posts, ER! And glad to know that I'm not the only crazy fool getting up that early...gotta be on the stream to get that sunrise photo! ..... + hilarious comment on wild parsnip!
...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:13:15 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

Nice camera work as well. That canoe picture should be framed in that couple's home. Haha.
alvollmer  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:15:39 AM(UTC)
alvollmer

So YOU were the other car parked at the spot. My buddy and I showed up around 6:15 and thought for sure we'd run into someone. Makes sense that we did not though, since we went upstream.

The water was still stained pretty good, but the flows were down. Those canoers looked to be handling the current excellent, as we saw them navigate through a treacherous bend with ease and comfort. Who knows, maybe it was us cheering them along that enabled their safe passage.

We had luck on beetles, squirrels, hairballs and prince nymphs. I'll post pics later tonight maybe.
EddieRivard  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:26:47 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Thanks fellas for the kind words. I remember the days before I found DriftlessTroutAnglers.com. I would always find myself checking out sites like graygoatflyfishing.com and winonaflyfactory.com to see if they had been updated recently. Both great sites but sometimes the time periods between updates were too much for me to bear. It's great having a daily dose of trout crack and kindred spirits and I am happy to have the opportunity to contribute.

Mark Dahlquist wrote:

Any brook trout caught in the canyon? Did you get up ass early in hopes for a chance at some bigger fish or do you just prefer mornings like many folks? Fly fishers generally don't get up at 2:30 unless you are Andy Weaverling hunting Moby Dick.

I have not caught any brook trout in the Canyon this year. I caught several last spring and wonder if the prolonged period of high temperatures and drought we had last year had an affect on brook trout numbers on the Lower Kinni. It would be nice to find out what others have experienced before we draw any hard conclusions but I assume the numbers will rebound as stream temperatures allow.

The main reason we fished early was to get in a few hours of fishing before the Kayak hatch occurred and to be the first ones on the water. I would say that the chance of catching a lunker was also on my mind.
TroutEmik  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:16:47 PM(UTC)
TroutEmik

Great post Eddie! Looks like you had a great time on the water.

I will be getting out for the first time EVER on the Kinni Saturday. Looks like Tstorms in the pm, so plan to get there around 9am ish. Any points or tips to share would be greatly be appreciated. I have a mix of PT & prince nymphs ( bead/ no bead),soft hackles,and plenty of dry flies. Will be Jain Bentley ball strike indicators (orange)...hopin that does t scare the fish.

EddieRivard  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:27:18 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

TroutEmik wrote:
Great post Eddie! Looks like you had a great time on the water.

I will be getting out for the first time EVER on the Kinni Saturday. Looks like Tstorms in the pm, so plan to get there around 9am ish. Any points or tips to share would be greatly be appreciated. I have a mix of PT & prince nymphs ( bead/ no bead),soft hackles,and plenty of dry flies. Will be Jain Bentley ball strike indicators (orange)...hopin that does t scare the fish.

Many trout in the Kinni have fell victim to both the Pheasant Tail and Prince Nymphs. I have used the Bentley Ball and Lightening Strike type indicators on the Kinni and had success.

One evening not too long ago when I was still cutting my teeth as a fly fisherman I was fishing the Upper Kinni near the Mcdonald's in River Falls. After losing my rig to a log fish I was choosing a new fly and didn't realize that the Pheasant Tail Nymph I grabbed out of my fly box wasn't a dry fly so I applied floatant to it. Between myself, my dad and his buddy I was the only one to catch fish that night. I had 3 decent size brookies slam that Pheasant Tail in the surface film. It goes to show you that even being stupid pays off some of the time.

Another thing to remember is the phrase, "High Enthusiasm, Low Expectations". It has served me well in fishing as well as my love life.