Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:54:24 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I always tell Brad to let me know when he's going so I can tag along sometime to try and catch a huge Flathead Catfish. When he told me to meet him on Rasberry Island at 4am on a Sunday I wasn't going to let him down no matter how good my bed felt. We fished from shortly after 4am to around 7am when it started to rain. We failed at catching fish but it's all about putting in time and eventually we will succeed. I was glad I brought my camera even if the only photos of fish were the bullheads we were using for bait.

I don't know who the hell named this place but I looked all over and didn't even see one Raspberry Bush.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Nobody messes with the CAT CLAW.
UserPostedImage

For whom the Bell Tolls. For me that's whom! When there's a cat on the other end.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
ilikefood  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:49:03 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great pictures Eddie! Hope you have better luck next time.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
Mark Dahlquist  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 7:50:43 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I would like to hear more about the gear you were using. Fishing the boardwalk I realize I need a solid bait casting reel with a medium heavy rod. They don't make heavy spinning reels with a clicker? Wish they did... I do have a little bell for cat fishing but most of the time it's obvious when there is a big fish. What pound line and type? Big circle hooks. Use just bullhead tail? Use "egg" style weights that you wrap the line through three times? Any sketchy fishermen types there to keep you company?
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
flyfishingfreak  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 11:03:24 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
I would like to hear more about the gear you were using. Fishing the boardwalk I realize I need a solid bait casting reel with a medium heavy rod. They don't make heavy spinning reels with a clicker? Wish they did... I do have a little bell for cat fishing but most of the time it's obvious when there is a big fish. What pound line and type? Big circle hooks. Use just bullhead tail? Use "egg" style weights that you wrap the line through three times? Any sketchy fishermen types there to keep you company?

full live bullhead = great flathead bait. bluegill also work well but the bullhead stay alive on hook better.
i personally use a big 9 foot mh bait caster with an abu garcia 6500 (i think thats the model i have on that rod...) i spool it with 30lbs mono, i like a big circle hook with a pretty wide gap.

for channels cut bait is the best IMO. cut buffalo carp seems to work the best for me, better than common carp, bluegill etc.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:16:54 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Mark Dahlquist wrote:

Mark, Okuma makes a fantastic spinning reel with a clicker. I use it for everything from Steelhead to Sturgeon. Look for it on their website, it's being loaned to a friend in florida right now, so I don't know the exact model. Works great for carp and flatheads on the St. Croix, the first fish I landed on it was a twenty pound carp, and it only took about 10 minutes in heavy current. The reel has TONS of components, so if you buy it, learn from my mistake and get it professionally cleaned. DO NOT take if apart yourself, cost me $30 to have it put back together.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
EddieRivard  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:25:40 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Mark Dahlquist wrote:

Mark, Instead of being able to say that I wish I was, "more of an expert" I can only say that I wish I was, "less of an amateur" when being asked questions about catfish strategies and tactics. I placed a call to my buddy Brad and took some notes so I wouldn't feel like I am sitting here, "blowing smoke". I'm going to try to do my best to regurgitate what Brad has taught me.

Brad is the little brother of one of my best friends. Many years ago when Brad knew nothing about fishing big cats he contacted me and asked me to show him the ropes. He had seen some photos I had posted on Facebook of me holding up some decent sized channel catfish caught in the Upper Saint Croix near Grantsburg WI. Between those photos and the TV show with Jeremy Wade called River Monsters he knew that catfishing was something he wanted to try and figured I knew what to do.

After fishing with him a couple times and sharing with him my limited knowledge and Catfishing spots it was all that was needed for him to set out on his own. Now the tables have turned and I am learning about Catfishing from Brad.

Here is me with one of my Upper Saint Croix River Cats caught in either 2009 or 2010.
UserPostedImage

Here is basically what we rig.

UserPostedImage

Here is my Catfish Box

UserPostedImage

On a side note here is what a trophy Freshwater Drum looks like. (aka Sheepshead) You never know what is going to be on the end of your line when fishing the Saint Croix River.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

If you need me to elaborate on anything let me know.