Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
5/16 - Night Shift(noun) -The people who work during the night Options
EddieRivard
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:34:59 PM

Last night I had the opportunity to meet up with fellow DTA members Kschaefer3 and KojDads. I must admit that I feel my fishing skill has greatly benefited as a result of being a member of this illustrious and storied consortium even if I do not have multiple photos of Brown Trout measuring over 20 inches to show for it. I think that if catching big browns was easy regardless of the methods used we would have all became bored with this and moved on to chasing women a long time ago. A group of people who share the same aim and work together to achieve it.

Convening on the banks of the Kinni at F we forged a path upstream around 7pm. My heart was somewhat shattered when we ran into the "Dynamic Duo" who informed us that they had just cleaned house and caught every big trout in the river. If I had been alone I would have probably turned back and tried another river but when a coalition of DTA members encounter a challenge they embrace it. DTA UNITE!

A few weeks back I made the claim that I had progressed from being a "Streamer Dreamer" to becoming a "Streamer Dream Teamer". After meeting up with Kschaefer3 and KojDads I realized not how far I have come but how high the mountain is that I intend to climb. Peering into their boxes jammed pack with hand tied streamers of color combinations I've never thought of and hearing them talk of fly tying materials that I never even knew existed I felt that if climbing Streamer Everest is my goal then I am glad that these guys are my Sherpas. I hope that with what I learn from these two I will be able to apply their expertise and someday show them a thing or two about fishing streamers.

We fished until eleven or so and although no monster trout were caught we had fun fishing.

You would think these guys had known each other for years but it was the first time any of us had met up.

kschaefer3
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:08:00 PM

Quote:
Beautiful fish are they not?

They really are. The shimmer they have is very cool!

Quote:
For instance tonight the goal is to catch dogfish.

ThumpUp ThumpUp The oldest native species in the area, if I am not mistaken. Plus I have heard they fight like few other fish do. I even heard a story of one attacking the leg of an angler wading shallow weedy shorelines in search of them. Have you seen the colors when they spawn? They are wild!

Quote:
Beautiful looking water. Streamers are the way to go. The bigger the better I presume.

I had never fished this stretch, but it is just as scenic as I have heard. Trout will eat something half their total length. 10" trout = 5" streamer. Hmm...musky doubles on a spring creek?
Trimbeller
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:22:26 PM

Ah yes the ever elusive, best pound-for-pound fight in freshwater....the dogfish.

File Attachment(s):
spiny-dogfish7.jpg (33kb) downloaded 123 time(s).
Dullyouth
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:30:32 PM

I fished from the FF lot up yesterday and those redhorse were making redds like nobody's business. They didn't want a dry, sanjuan, or even my go-to nymphs. Sex on the mind I guess.
kschaefer3
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:37:38 PM

Quote:
They didn't want a dry, sanjuan, or even my go-to nymphs.
try a streamer along the bottom. They seemed to be missing and getting hooked in the back/side a lot thoughSmile

Trimbeller - That picture is awesome. I didn't realize how closely the body of a dogfish resembles a brownLaugh
Dullyouth
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:40:46 PM

kschaefer3 wrote:
try a streamer along the bottom. They seemed to be missing and getting hooked in the back/side a lot thoughSmile

I will admit, I totally tried snagging one with the San Juan just to see what the hell they were. Then after a few trys I let them be, thinking, "How would I feel if my lady and I had just shut the lights off and then i get snagged in the back with a hook and ripped out of the house?" ThumpUp
Crazylegs
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:42:09 PM

Looks like fun guys! I fished from the F bridge on Wednesday, I started out throwing streamers in the morning with no result but around 10:30am a decent caddis hatch started. Windy conditions made fishing drys tough but I did land a few smaller fish!

Keep those streamer reports coming!

Always fun to see.
"If people focused on what was important in life, there would be a shortage of fishing rods."
kschaefer3
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:49:11 PM

Dullyouth wrote:

I will admit, I totally tried snagging one with the San Juan just to see what the hell they were. Then after a few trys I let them be, thinking, "How would I feel if my lady and I had just shut the lights off and then i get snagged in the back with a hook and ripped out of the house?" ThumpUp

LOL I would feel very confused and very angry. Probably similar to the fish.
Mark Dahlquist
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:13:07 PM

Try worms. They cannot resist. You could probably catch them ever cast too. They are not slimy. Big scales. They are a sucker but no smell like a white suckers. Short heads (red fins) as you caught are common. They also come in gold, silver, and black.

Last time I caught a dogfish I was a kid cane pole fishing for sunfish on a bay full of sunfish. Back then my day's friend though of them as trash fish and lined them up by his rhubarb patch to bury for fertilizer. We kids stepped on the dog fish and they would make an "arp" sound like a dog barking. The idea I think is dogfish would eat the sunfish so they should be removed? So many people think of rough fish as trash fish especially trout purists. They are truly a blast to catch. As for eating though I've not gone that far so perhaps guilty of "playing with my food." Keep the trout and let the roughies go? It sounds backwards, I realize.
-Mark
Board Owner

kschaefer3
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:18:00 PM

http://www.bowfinanglers.com/index.html

Have you ever seen this? They have a recipes section.