Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

5/10 - Steeling Away Options
EddieRivard
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:57:58 AM

You ever touch your tongue to cold steel in the winter months and have it get stuck on it like glue. The same thing happens to your mind when you get your first taste of Brule Steel. A lifelong obsession ensues and and you soon find yourself steeling away every chance you get to tango with the ever elusive Brule River Steelhead. According to the World Steel Association, there are over 3,500 different grades of steel, encompassing unique physical, chemical and environmental properties. Out of all of these the Brule River Steelhead is by far the most prized. If you happen to catch but a fleeting glimpse of one during a full day spent prodding and poking the Brule with your long rod you may very well have reason to call that day a sucessful one. To catch your second Brule River Steelhead as I did today pretty much ensures you a spot in the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Did I ever tell you how awesome I am?

23.5 inches measured although the photo doesn't really do her justice.

This was included to show the current water clarity. Chocolatey enough to keep the timid away but clear enough to give a determined angler a chance at success. Water temp ranged from 40-45 between 6:30am and 2:30pm. Perfect for Steelheading.

madguy30
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:05:34 PM

Very cool. I fished the Brule last August, and considered it amazing just to be walking around it.

Quite a place.
CAS0311
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:21:52 PM

That is some great looking water. Was that an egg fly?
EddieRivard
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:24:40 PM

Yes I caught it on a very large orange egg fly drifted close to the bottom using a "Chuck and Duck" setup weighted with a slinky.
Mark Dahlquist
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:21:21 AM

Eddie you are awesome! Best to have your first photo in the net I say. The flop out of your hands deal with no photo is no fun! Time and effort and food and gas and flies. Timing of conditions, finding that perfect cast. It's not trivial. Congratulations!
-Mark
Board Owner

Trout_Patzer
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 3:52:41 AM

Eddie you are the man! Congrats on the catch. Those pictures have me missing that stream. You are 100% correct she sticks with you. I have only been graced with a fleeting glimpse but have made the drive more times than I care to admit.
kschaefer3
#7 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 2:01:29 PM

TP - You and me both! I have been at that river too many times with nothing to show. The hike along the river is enough to bring a person back, though.

Awesome post Eddie! I am always very entertained reading your writing. River is still running high and dirty.Congrats on a great day of fishing.