Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:36:34 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

I was dead set on fishing the lower Kinni this morning hell or high water. After checking out Ozzky's positive sounding reports on the water clarity of the rivers of Pierce County I was even more dead set on fishing what I consider to be my home waters on the opener. Still as I was driving to the river around 4am I wondered if I'd gone mad or was a genius trout fishing extraordinaire. Turns out the road sign was right because the opener on the Kinni at FF was "effing fantastic". When I started fishing shortly after 5am I was focusing my approach on fishing streamers. After failing at that method miserably I switched over to a 3 nympth rig around 9:30am and caught four medium sized Brown Trout in relatively short order. After that I decided that I would rather Streamer fish the rest of the day even if it meant failing at catching fish. I switched between several before finally settling on this Blue, Purple and Yellow thing that my friend in Montana gave me while fishing the Gallatin in February. I started getting follows which were proceeded by strikes and eventually landed two Browns on the Streamer. I felt good as I have just recently decided that I wanted to get good at fishing the streamer because I was tired of being a, "Streamer Dreamer". Now I consider myself to be a, "Streamer Dream Teamer". The river was in excellent shape and I had it all to myself from 5am until 12:30 when I left. I did see two guys fishing while I was walking the trail on the way out. It was kind of nice to see other humans at that point though.

The trail to the river around 4:50am. I have to admit it was kind of scary walking down there in the blackness. I heard a sound that could have been a Bigfoot hooting. I was too afraid to hoot back so I tried to be quiet and kept moving towards the river. At least I would die doing something that I loved.
UserPostedImage

Go time! Why is it still dark out? You and me go fishing in the dark.
UserPostedImage

First Blood
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Can you spot the Goose on the cliff. I didn't even notice her until she hissed at me.
UserPostedImage

Where would you cast for the lunker?
UserPostedImage

Nice Pines!
UserPostedImage

A nice long walk to the river generally keeps the riff raff out.
UserPostedImage

Thanks for checking out my report. I hope you like it.

Edited by user Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:47:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Richie  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 3:33:26 PM(UTC)
Richie

Nice report and pictures. Did you fish the pocket of foam with the fallen tree in the 7th picture? That looks like a fantastic hole.
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:29:15 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Richie wrote:
Nice report and pictures. Did you fish the pocket of foam with the fallen tree in the 7th picture? That looks like a fantastic hole.

I was already on the trail walking out when I took that photo. I would have had to climb down the steep hillside in order to fish it and there was two guys fishing not too far upstream from there. It does look like a fantastic hole though. I often like to give runs and bends of rivers names when I feel like they are a good spot. From this day forward that pocket of foam will be known as "Richie's Fantastic Hole".
ilikefood  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:46:10 PM(UTC)
ilikefood

Eddie:

Great report, pictures, and writing. Glad to hear that someone was on the streams this morning having some luck. I chickened out with the cold weather. Based on what I saw this afternoon, the rivers will be angry tomorrow.

Keep up the great reports Eddie!
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
Trimbeller  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 3:27:11 PM(UTC)
Trimbeller

Hey Eddie, I LOVE this access point. It is my favorite by far for the Kinni and one of the stretches I miss the most. I have waded it to RF and had 100+ fish days doing so. As summer sets in please post more pics of this locale.... I absolutely love it! Btw.... My dad once caught a smallie along that limestone face that the goose is roosting on! Thanks for the report and the pics.... Makes my heart long for the drift less!
detert99  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:02:28 PM(UTC)
detert99

Man

Nice pics!
β€œAn intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
― Charles Bukowski
troutnordy  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 7:29:45 AM(UTC)
troutnordy

What does Kinni at (FF) stand for
donjuan  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 10:08:09 AM(UTC)
donjuan

Hey, great report and pictures. If I'm thinking of the right spot, that cliff hole with the goose is a really, really nice looking hole. I've only caught a few small ones in the two times I fished it, though. Nice job braving the elements and having some success!
donjuan  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 10:10:55 AM(UTC)
donjuan

Trimbeller wrote:
I have waded it to RF and had 100+ fish days doing so.

That is quite a hike! A friend and I always talked about doing an entire day starting from the bridge at F and ending at the Lower Dam, but we'd always go way too slow and turn back before we got too far up. It's hard to "skip ahead to the best spots" on the kinni because there are fish everywhere!
EddieRivard  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 10:20:31 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

troutnordy wrote:
What does Kinni at (FF) stand for

There is a public access trail to the Kinni on FF about 2 or 3 miles east of F between F and River Falls. There is a small parking lot across the road and down a little from the trailhead. It is not for the weary though. I've seen a lot of guys turn around and walk back to their car because they wuss out. Wisconsin likes to use letters to name their roads. I've heard there is a XXX in northern Polk county but have yet to visit it.