Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:48:53 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

I recently accompanied 9 of my good friends on a trip out to Big Sky Montana. They enjoyed a few days of skiing and boarding at Big Sky and Moonlight Basin while I fished and explored the Gallatin River. Here are a few photos I took of the scenery and the fish.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I didn't have 12 dollars so I used the pullouts.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ice chunks left over from Gallatin Tsunami

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I tried using this Articulated Streamer for several hours with no avail. I will catch something on this fly this coming summer and it will be big. I apologize for the poor photo quality.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, February 11, 2013 4:11:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

outdoorbobby  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:01:26 PM(UTC)
outdoorbobby

Man

Awesome. Very nice!
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
flyfishingfreak  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 2:59:10 AM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

The gallatin is definitely one of the most beautiful rivers i've fished. I was there only for one afternoon, but ended up catching a lot of rainbows, no whitefish or browns though!
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:08:58 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

It is beautiful indeed. I fished it for 10 days in the summer of 2007. Got lucky and timed the spruce moth hatch perfect. Caught tons of rainbows in the 12-16" range, but nothing big. In 10 days I only caught one brown. Were you fishing near Big Sky? My friend and I fished new water every day and I felt like we barely scratched the surface.
Dullyouth  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 9:57:35 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

I absolutely LOVE the Gallatin river. Never fished it, but it sure is a sight for the eyesdriving south towards Big Sky.
EddieRivard  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:04:30 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

kschaefer3 wrote:
Were you fishing near Big Sky?

I fished in various spots between the town of Big Sky to about 6 miles down river. The last day I ended up 2 miles downstream from town and was about to walk back to my vehicle when a local fisherman invited me to fish with him for an hour and then gave me a ride back to town. We even did a fly swap before parting ways. It was a day I will remember my entire life.
donjuan  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:50:39 PM(UTC)
donjuan

That looks amazing. I've never fished out west anywhere. Thanks for posting
minnphatts  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:21:37 PM(UTC)
minnphatts

Man

Great Report, you can't beat the combo trip!

I may have stayed at the camping spot in your photographs on one of my trips. I love the Gallatin even though it doesn't tend to produce many big fish (except whitefish LOL ).
I think the biggest I've caught is a 17" bow. Anyone else manage any big fish? What it lacks in average size fish it more than makes up for in quality water!
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
Trimbeller  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 8:57:55 PM(UTC)
Trimbeller

Looks like you were taking fish on some pretty big nymphs for February! I would have assumed size 20 and smaller.... Good for you!
kschaefer3  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:35:24 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I'm in the same boat, minnphatts, TONS of fish, but nothing big. When I was there I fished everywhere from upstream of town about 5-7 miles to downstream about the same. After 6 days or so my friend and I started exploring tribs to the Gallatin. Most are small streams that are very steep. You could put just about any fly in the pockets and catch small rainbows, cutthroats and cutt bows. One trib dowstream from town ran through a valley. This was for sure the best trib. It was still small, but much bigger and easier to fish than the ones that spilled down mountains. It was also a beautiful little creek. This is just making me want to go back!!!