Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Crayfish, an often overlooked food source Options
flyfishingfreak
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:57:44 PM

The other day while fishing with Damien, we were talking about how it seems that crayfish seem to be overlooked as a major food source for trout. With the recent posts in another thread about everyone finding crayfish in the stomachs of trout I figured i'd make a quick post.

In streams that have crayfish in them i think the fish target them at least as much as minnows. I usually only keep fish from three streams, all of which have crayfish. In about 90% of those fish they're are pieces of crayfish in their stomachs. these fish are usually 9-12 inches even, i have kept two 14 inch fish in the past stuffed with crayfish as well. It seems that i find many more crayfish in fish than other fish in fish.

So do fish eat more crayfish than minnows? or do the crayfish, because of their hard exoskeleton, just stay in they stomach for a longer period of time, therefore more likely to still be in there while cleaning the fish?
Either way, I know that i'll still be tying my favorite crayfish flies, they seem to work pretty well!
http://instagram.com/bfrautschi
curtR32
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:29:25 PM

From a trout's point of view, crayfish are probably a lot easier to catch than minnows. Your theory on the exoskeletons staying in their stomach for a longer time is interesting and logical. I would think they would still pass them relatively quick since they are constantly packing other food in their stomach but then again, this is a complete guess.

The point is still the same, trout like crayfish! I'm going to Gander today to pick up some crayfish looking lures and or spinners with the similar crayfish colors. I will let you guys know if I have any sort of exceptional luck with them.
s.t.fanatic
#3 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 2:33:00 AM

I tie up a crayfish pattern on a 1/16 oz jig with a 1/0 hook. I have had limited success on it but also have not fished it a ton. I have also caught trout on the rebel wee craw but again have not used it a ton.