Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Monster Brookie! Options
brook1619
#1 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 1:01:45 AM

It seems that this year has been the year of catching the big brookies. Bobby and a few others on the board have landed fish of a lifetime. I mentioned on my blog awhile back that my goal this season was to catch a brookie similar to one I caught back in 2010 (17"). I had no idea that I would exceed my expectations so quickly and have another one for the wall. I was contemplating about taking girth measurements and length to have a replica made and release the bruiser, but I decided to keep it.

Straight to the Point:
I had casted several times into the hole with no strikes or follows. On my third cast, I was reeling in and all of a sudden my reel stopped spinning and my hand literally slipped of the reel, followed by a huge pull on the line the other direction. I knew the moment the fish took off in the opposite direction of the bank I had hooked a quality fish. I immediately loosened my drag to exhaust the fish and to get the net off my back. All of sudden the fish exposed itself for the first time and leaped completely out of the water followed by another run. At this point my arms and legs were shaking so bad that I could barely hang onto my rod with a firm enough grip. I managed to gain control of the trout and was able to scoop up the fish from underneath. As I lifted the fish out from the water, I first saw its true size and I was literally in shock Woot! I stood along the bank with the fish in the net thinking about what had just taken place and what I was going to do next. I gathered up my belongings and headed home only to discover I just caught a 19.25 inch brook trout with 11" girth \:d/. Follow the link to my blog page to see a few photos.

http://thewilybrookie.blogspot.com/

I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
outdoorbobby
#2 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 1:25:51 AM

That Brookie is HUGE. Amazing catch... That will be extremely hard to beat!
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
Mark Dahlquist
#3 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 1:40:52 AM

Good lord I have never seen such a creature! Caught in a stream in western WI I presume? I don't think anybody can top that for a spring creek brookie. So it's going to the taxidermist I take it. I froze mine solid wrapped in wet blankets. Was what taxidermist recommended.

I have yet to break the 15" barrier! Congratulations on a fish of a lifetime. =d>
Support catch and eat fishing.
Trout_Patzer
#4 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 1:56:57 AM

Holy Brook trout batman! That is insane! ThumpUp What were you fishing with? You already had a 17" hugh... WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful.
mmalyuk
#5 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 2:23:27 AM

That's the best brookie I have ever seen come from a WI stream! That thing is crazy huge.
RiverBum
#6 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 2:39:07 AM

Holy crap...nice fish!!!
ilikefood
#7 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 2:48:43 AM

Holy cows! Woot Congratulations on that catch! Not only is the bookie an enormous size, the colors and patterns are beautiful.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
flyfishingfreak
#8 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 4:13:50 AM

=d> My god! That is a true monster! My personal best is 14" and i have a goal this year to break 15" I couldn't imagine the feeling of catching a brookie almost 20"!!!!
Congrats!!!
minnphatts
#9 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 5:14:23 AM

Ditto, all of the above =d> =d> =d>
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
LenH
#10 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 1:41:29 PM

WOW!!!!!
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”

~Carson