Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

SE Minnesota and Western Wisconsin Brook Trout Streams? Options
likes2fish
#1 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 9:06:55 PM

New member here, and I have been trout fishing for a few years now. This year, I really want to get out more than the 2-4 times that I normally do after discovering that I am actually much closer to Western WI Trout Streams than I originally thought. I really like the terrain down in SE Minnesota, and that is another reason why I really want to start getting into trout fishing more! I have fished a few streams in SE Minnesota, including the Whitewater, the Root, Forestville, Spring Valley, and Beaver (near Whitewater). In all of these streams, between a couple of us, we have only caught 2 small brook trout (under 6 inches), along with decent numbers rainbows up to 15 inches and browns up to 13-14 inches. I really would like to get into some better size brook trout (8+ inches) to smoke, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas where to go for some decent size brook trout? I do have 1 stream I would like to try for them that Mark has shared, but would like a couple others as "back up plans". I know this area is not really known largely for big brookies, just would like to get some to smoke anywhere is SE MN, as well as Polk, Pierce, St. Croix, Dunn, LaCrosse, and counties surrounding them. I do not have a problem with bushwacking in the summer to get to some better water/better fish. Does anyone have any ideas? I am really looking forward to the upcoming season, and will hopefully have some reports for everyone when the spring/summer arrives!Smile
likes2fish
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 9:32:16 PM

Also, if anyone knows any nice campgrounds with trout streams on the grounds in Western WI, I would be interested in hearing those as well.
mmalyuk
#3 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 9:57:57 PM

Western Wisconsin may not be known for big brookies but they are around. You certainly won't have any trouble finding brookies over 6 inches. Almost all of the Pierce County trout streams have brookies with good size. Dunn County is loaded with brookie streams.
William Schlafer
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:18:09 AM

likes2fish wrote:
Also, if anyone knows any nice campgrounds with trout streams on the grounds in Western WI, I would be interested in hearing those as well.

One place to check out is the West Fork Sportsman Club in Avalanche Wisconsin:
http://www.westforksport...nsclub.org/camping.html

The campground is right on the West Fork of the Kickapoo River. A yearly membership is only $10 and allows you to reserve campsites. Info on the webpage.

Good luck.
-Bill
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." -- Lily Tomlin
Mark Dahlquist
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:09:48 AM

This should help you for western WI. Welcome to the board.

Catch and release into hot grease.
likes2fish
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 7:21:21 PM

Thanks for all the info! I have a feeling that once the regular season comes around, I will be spending a ton of time on here and hopefully out trout fishing!BigGrin