Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

96 Pages«<9192939495>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#921 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:11:08 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Found.great water in Grant today in the tribs. Fish were just nibbling though to the point of madness. Probably interacted with 40 trout but only landed 5. Worst short striking/messing with me I’ve ever encountered/endured.

Seriously frustrated at times.

Silver lining... everyone here at deer camp is in bed (coz they have to get up much earlier than me) and I’m watching the storm roll in up here on a ridge above the Blue.

Yeah... another great day in the Driftless.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#922 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:37:50 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Big water that I saw this weekend was blown out and chocolate.

Tribs/smaller waters were all nicely stained and fishable.

Short window this morning between getting up a bit late and game at noon but managed a dozen browns. No short striking today.
MN Driftless  
#923 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 10:33:40 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I fished in southeast MN on Saturday AM: clean enough water to nymph, willing fish, cool weather. The section was a traditional H.I spot. Lots of plunges, lunkers, and rock.

Love good H.I. and so do the trout.
JGF  
#924 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2019 2:48:09 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I was around La Crosse and Vernon counties Saturday and water was in (surprisingly) great shape. I fished a stream known for almost always being clean and it was gin clear. I expected it to be in decent shape but I didn't expect gin clear water.

Had some great fishing - probably 2 dozen fish in just a couple of hours including a couple of decent browns and a really nice brookie.
William Schlafer  
#925 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:01:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Took a little drive today and checked out some Trout streams in SW Wisconsin.

The creeks in Sauk and Richland counties were noticeably higher than last month, with the water pushing up into the grass in places. There was a moderate to heavy stain with about a foot of visibility. The further north and west I went, the clearer the creeks became. The springs are really pumping out the water right now. It's unusual to find these creeks to high this late in the year. But this bodes well for the rest of the season. Good water levels means healthy streams and Trout.

UserPostedImage

I should've slept in a couple more hours. There was heavy fog along the Wisconsin river and the up into the trib valleys. It was wet and cool until the sun finally burned through. The fishing was very slow until around 10:30AM when the terrestrials began to move and hit the water in numbers sufficient to get the Trout looking up.
UserPostedImage

The creeks in western Richland and eastern Vernon counties were running clear to slightly stained and also had great flow. The bite was a little off today for some reason. Perhaps the sun was the limiting factor, although the bite in the shade wasn't much better. Also had lots of misses and short strikes. For some reason they just weren't committing to eating the fly. Darker colored higher contrast hoppers in dark purple and dark green were more effective than yellow or pink.

I managed to catch a few decent Trout, so the trip was worthwhile.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Only saw one other person fishing today. Last week was much busier, for some reason.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#926 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 1:50:53 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

It rained all night and into the day till about 11:00. This left me less than optimistic about a return to any big fish water today, so I left home with all of my gear in case I had to go to a fallback position of brookie fishing in skinnier water.

Was surprised to find the water on a local bigger stream to be about a foot high but almost fishable with 3 inches of vis. I think that the steady but light nature of the rainfall meant that there was minimal runoff to muddy up the water.

Drove a couple bridges upstream and found high water, but only with a good stain. Decided to give it a go as the big fish bug had hit me after yesterday's success.

Despite ideal, text book big fish conditions - high water, nice stain, steady drizzle, overcast skies oh yeah and a stream where they actually live - things were slow.

Mostly the only thing biting were the mosquitos which swarmed with the intensity of a creature that knows it's up against its final days of the year. Luckily it was cool enough that I could cover up with a raincoat, including the hood.

They were still trying to get into my face constantly though and every once in a while I'd look down and a couple would be biting my hands, even though I hadn't felt them.

Forged ahead and got 5 or 6 small to average browns and this striking bow...

UserPostedImage

Check out the dark grey and deep majenta. This fish really popped in the overcast lighting.

Was at the last corner I was going to hit and was snapped off like I was using 2lb mono. A quick hit and the Panther was gone from my 10lb braid.

Shit!

Went above the spot and cast upstream a few times and then, just for S & Gs, dragged my Shadow Rap up through the spot. On the second retrieve, got a strong hit within two feet of where I got bit off and proceeded to fight and land this lovely fat girl...

UserPostedImage

Actually checked her mouth for my Panther even though I knew how unlikely it would be for the same fish to hit again - how cool would that have been though? Laugh

No lure and to be honest, I think the other fish was likely bigger and maybe a male who was able to cut the line on his teeth. I mean... there was no brief fight or anything just a SNAP! ... gone.

Pretty nice consolation prize though. Check out those giant spots!

UserPostedImage

Not quite as productive an afternoon as I thought it could be, but that girl made the day.

Maybe I'll go back in a few days and see if the other fish is still lurking.

Just over two weeks to go.

Edited by user Monday, September 30, 2019 1:54:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/30/2019(UTC)
WI-fly  
#927 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 11:54:09 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Gorgeous fish! That rainbow is different looking and I love those big spots on the brown.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
briz  
#928 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 4:01:11 PM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
that colored up rainbow is awesome. This weekend was silly for trout with the overcast. Had one stretch of fish on Saturday with fish on 7 consecutive with one of them below 15". It ended when I was snapped off by big 20+ I watched come out from an undercut bank and kill my bugger in a small seam and broke off the 3x tippet like it was nothing and cruised back to his home. Coming down with the fall trout fever and I may need a sick day this week from work.
outdoorbobby  
#929 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:02:49 PM(UTC)
outdoorbobby

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looking to go fly fishing Friday. I haven’t had any chances to fish this year as life has been absolutely crazy. 2 things... Does anyone want to meet up and fish and does anyone know where ANY clear streams will be by Friday with the continued rain across the state?
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
Gurth  
#930 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 11:52:05 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

The whole state?

There will be lots of fishing available this weekend.

Sounds like the Viroqua area got missed by and large. The shop was reporting clearing conditions even yesterday.

SW corner of state got more rain, but I'd be optimistic of finding fishable water higher up in systems.

Down here... Highway 78 at H is currently closed with water over the road - Kittleson Valley/Gordo system.

As always, look at smaller water and closer to headwaters if bigger water is blown.

The Nam was up over 600 a couple of days ago. Blink