Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Twill89  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 10:19:20 PM(UTC)
Twill89

Hi All,

I was just curious if there were some bamboo lovers out there in the Driftless. I just got my first bamboo rod this year (7.5’ penta 5 weight) through Coldwater Collectibles, and I’m really taken with it for various practical and not so practical reasons. Down the rabbit hole I go.

I’d love to find some like minded folk, maybe look at and chat about some bamboo, and fish some too!

I’d really love to connect with someone who builds rods. I’m definitely a fine craft lover, and I know it’s only a matter of time before I must make at least one.

Anyone out there?

Cheers

Max

*meant to post this under the Fly Fishing forum.

Edited by user Monday, July 29, 2019 11:11:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:40:19 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Max! I have a 7'6" 4 weight, built from an inexpensive Chinese blank but to high standards, that I like to use on smaller creeks in the area. There is a bamboo forum 9/19-21 at the West Fork Sportsman's Club put on by the Northern Rodmakers: Northern Rodmakers They've got a beginner's workshop that will go through the process of how rods are made, tools and techniques being held that weekend, right up your alley. I plan to attend.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:43:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Twill89  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 8:22:33 PM(UTC)
Twill89

Bob,

Thanks for the info! I didn’t know about this. I couldn’t seem to find any schedule or itinerary online, but that sounds great!

Did you build your rod from the blanks?

weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2019 8:50:57 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

There's not much on the web site, but I figure you can call the fly shop in question. There is a registration form, you have to print it, send it in with a check - very old school.
*Update* I called and left a message with the chairman of the club, so I'll post the results of my conversation here.

I didn't build mine, but bought it from a guy who did. He did a great job.

I've cast very few bamboo rods besides my own, and even fewer good ones. I hope to be able to wiggle a few at the event. I won't say it's a bucket list item, but I do plan to buy a very nice one sometime in the next few years, maybe as a retirement gift to myself. I'm talking a Sweetgrass or similar level of quality.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 30, 2019 8:55:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added info

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
ilikefood  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2019 11:51:54 AM(UTC)
ilikefood

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I own and occasionally fish a vintage Shakespeare bamboo rod. It was given to me by an elderly neighbor who received it as a gift when he was young. I had it refinished and it looks wonderful.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2019 12:33:23 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We got my son one from CWC as well. Very nice 76 5w. Penningotn I think. I had mine built by Scott Grady in Neenah. I got a 7'6" 4w flamed cane, got to pick colors and cork, reelseat and tube was $400. I can give you his number if you want it. Will try post pics later.
WIHEXROD  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:10:46 PM(UTC)
WIHEXROD

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The 3rd annual Northern Rodmakers Gathering website will be updated soon with the agenda and such.
There will be a half day beginners workshop on thursday afternoon. This is not on the website yet. If you are interested in more information, please email me.
oossg@vbe.com

Scott

NRG website is
https://www.northernrodmakers.com/
thanks 2 users thanked WIHEXROD for this useful post.
weiliwen on 7/31/2019(UTC), Twill89 on 7/31/2019(UTC)
weiliwen  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2019 4:05:06 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Thanks, Scott! For the rest of the DTA'ers, I had the pleasure to speak with Scott last night, and now I'm looking forward even more to this gathering.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Trouts  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:05:36 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I really enjoy fishing bamboo most of the time lately. Still have several glass and graphite rods I like, but always seem to grab a bamboo rod before heading out. With these crazy prices for the "newest and greatest" plastic rods you can get a nice bamboo rods for the same price or less. It is quite the rabbit hole with all the tapers out there and the variations of them. Hopefully you will be able to cast some rods at the gathering to see what you like.

We are lucky enough to have several great bamboo rods makers in MN, WI, and Iowa. I have a friend who offered to show me how to build one once he finishes setting up his new shop. Again, another rabbit hole I probably shouldn't jump down, but just can't say no.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
Twill89  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 11:57:27 PM(UTC)
Twill89

Sorry for the late response. I'm just starting to catch back up here. I hope a trip to Yellowstone and Western Montana is a good enough excuse for the lapsed time. Got some Yellowstone Cutthroat and Grayling checked off the list. No close Grizzly encounters. Or Moose, for that matter.

Trouts, I whole heartily agree and I'm definitely looking forward to attending the bamboo rod gathering in September! I think it will be really eye opening for someone who hasn't been around them much. Isn't that the hard part about bamboo rods? Unless you happen to know folks, it isn't like you can just go to the nearest fly shop or Cabela's and start wiggling. And in order to be into the characteristic of a particular style of tool (bamboo rods in this case), ya kinda got to know how they work in order to know if you like them or not, and which ones you like!

I am curious about the Pennington rods, mostly due to their affordability. But I do think they look pretty. I like the look of blonde rods and those red wraps.

Cheers everyone! Also, the fishing right now is quite good... as everyone is saying.