Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tenkara_guy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2019 7:49:37 PM(UTC)
tenkara_guy

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi everyone. I'm thinking about heading to the North Shore for a few days toward the end of this month to camp and fish. I love chasing brookies on small streams, and I've been trying to learn more about the options up there. It seems like a largely under-utilized fishery (no surprise given the great steelhead and coaster fishing at other times of the year).

I've done some searches on this forum and others and learned a little already. But I'd love to find out if any of you have ventured up there recently and what kind of experiences you've had. Any other kinds of advice about how the brook trout fishing differs from our Driftless streams (besides the basics--freestone, low nutrient, thick alders, canyons, fish are above the waterfall barriers) are most welcome.

I don't expect people to give up their honey holes, but I will also take any other suggestions on where to fish--generally, I mean. I have the 2007 MN DNR Maps and the new TroutRoutes app and the Humphrey/Shogren book (updated in 2001). So I already have a few places in mind.
"I will explain to him as an acceptable realpolitik: if the trout are lost, smash the state." -- Thomas McGuane
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2019 11:22:04 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Do you have any areas in mind? There are a lot of good brookie spots on the north shore, but if you narrow it down I might be able to give you some pointers.
The one thing I will say is carry a thermometer - those north shore brookies are tough little bastards but you should probably still avoid fishing if the water temps are 70+, which they frequently are in late august.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 8/5/2019(UTC)
tenkara_guy  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 2:28:12 AM(UTC)
tenkara_guy

United States

Thanks! I'll pay close attention to the temps. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I was thinking about streams north of the Baptism River.
"I will explain to him as an acceptable realpolitik: if the trout are lost, smash the state." -- Thomas McGuane
shebs  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 3:02:15 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
There's a lot of good water up there. I'll collect my thoughts and email you sometime tomorrow evening (PMs arent working currently, but check whatever email you used to sign up for this forum, that's where it will go)

Will you be tenkara fishing? I can't offer much as far as fly selection, but I can at least point you to some streams worth fishing (lots of the water above the ridge is tiny and overgrown/unfishable by mid July, let alone alone late August). I go up there a couple times a year on either side of labor day, and there is a lot of good water, and a lot of water that just isn't worth the time or the wear and tear on your vehicle...although there is also a good bit I've yet to explore, on account of my corolla's lack of ground clearance LOL

Edited by user Monday, August 5, 2019 3:03:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 8/5/2019(UTC), billybigbilly on 8/6/2019(UTC)
tenkara_guy  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 4:47:48 AM(UTC)
tenkara_guy

United States

I’ll use my tenkara rods... and I’ll have my 4 weight along too. Thanks, man!
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 4:22:06 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I’d stay north of the Baptism River if at all possible. The streams to the north keep their flows better and won’t be as warm as those to the south,
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 2 users thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 8/6/2019(UTC), tenkara_guy on 8/7/2019(UTC)
billybigbilly  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 6:35:43 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
There's a lot of good water up there. I'll collect my thoughts and email you sometime tomorrow evening (PMs arent working currently, but check whatever email you used to sign up for this forum, that's where it will go)

Will you be tenkara fishing? I can't offer much as far as fly selection, but I can at least point you to some streams worth fishing (lots of the water above the ridge is tiny and overgrown/unfishable by mid July, let alone alone late August). I go up there a couple times a year on either side of labor day, and there is a lot of good water, and a lot of water that just isn't worth the time or the wear and tear on your vehicle...although there is also a good bit I've yet to explore, on account of my corolla's lack of ground clearance LOL

Hey Shebs, if it isn't to much of a hassle could you send me the same info? My sister goes to school up there so I have a nice excuse to head up there! LOL once again no secrets but just somewhere to start, Thanks!
tenkara_guy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:09:51 AM(UTC)
tenkara_guy

United States

Thanks for all the advice and the emails!
thanks 1 user thanked tenkara_guy for this useful post.
shebs on 8/7/2019(UTC)