Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

90 Pages«<7677787980>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#771 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:25:35 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Nice hook Brody!

Water is clear down here below the Wisco.

I got out tonight for a few hours and had a fish count night with over 30 to hand.

Was on a small stream and there were risers galore from the time I got there pretty much till dark. Was fun watching the trout come halfway out of the water to get the bugs.

Yelled at a heron that came in for a landing about 30 yards upstream from me. Obviously not big on stream etiquette. He flew away to find his own section.

Beautiful evening and saw several deer and an owl kept me company for the last 30 minutes or so before dark.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Z4c64 on 5/22/2019(UTC)
Z4c64  
#772 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:33:52 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have tried 3 different streams in the last week. All are crystal clear, even though none of the 3 are usually crystal clear. The water temperature was no more than 52.9 degrees as well. Even with this rain, the streams are running clear in SE Wisconsin.
Gurth  
#773 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:12:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Had a day off on Wednesday for the Brewers game and since it was a vaca day, no way I was gonna let it go by without some fishing.

It rained overnight and the first two places where I stopped were not to my liking from a vis standpoint.

Arrived at one of my post-rain go-tos at 6:30 and it was nicely stained.

Fishing was pretty slow, but I did find two stretches that held fish – about a hundred yards with browns and then further up, about a hundred yards with brookies.

Got a half dozen of each and was skinning home by 9:00.

Funny how they were bunched up as superficially, this stream looks the same all the way up and I've caught trout throughout its entire length over the years.

Post needs photos, so here's a nice small stream brown…

UserPostedImage

Most of the brookies were decent sized like this one…

UserPostedImage
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#774 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:20:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Funny how they were bunched up as superficially, this stream looks the same all the way up and I've caught trout throughout its entire length over the years.

I've noticed in streams with a mix of Browns and Brookies they do segregate at certain times of the year. Not exactly sure why, but I think Brookies have a different set of priorities for water they prefer. Water temps, or a need for moving water perhaps? Or maybe the Browns drive them out of their favorite holes? On streams I've fished frequently, I tend to find Brook Trout in the same spots year after year.

-Bill

Edited by user Thursday, May 23, 2019 5:22:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
hougie  
#775 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 12:39:15 PM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States
Location: I split time between the twin cities and Onalaska, Wisconsin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Going to get out today will post an update on the conditions i find. I will be in Vernon county somewhere not sure which stream yet.

leowelss  
#776 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 1:14:27 PM(UTC)
leowelss

Has anyone been near the Rush River? I was thinking of heading out this weekend but was wondering if it is a bit flooded / stained...

Thanks!
hougie  
#777 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 2:07:51 PM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States

hougie  
#778 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:14:38 AM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States

Got out today in Vernon County. First stop was near romance area and the water was flowing and murky. Wasnt feeling it there so went to Timber Coulee and the one spot i found with no trucked parked produced half a dozen or so browns most caught on the squirrel and also a copper john. The water seemed a little more clear in Timber coulee. The fish were aggressive enough all in all a good day.
William Schlafer  
#779 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 4:35:24 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
A check of the weather forecast promised heavy rain and thunderstorms for Monday (Memorial Day) so I decided to give it a try this afternoon before the heavy weather set in.

The first two streams I looked at were high and running chocolate milk - which surprised me, as it didn't seem to have rained that hard in this area on Friday, and Saturday was dry. After an hour long tour, I finally found water that was fishable, but still heavily stained. Blue skies and bright sun would be negated by the stained water, which would make it easy to get close and avoid spooking the Trout with my shadow on the water.

UserPostedImage

After all the outings this year on crystal clear water, some stain was welcome. But this was a bit more than I normally like. But with few other options, I gave it a go.
UserPostedImage

Woolly Buggers are usually the ticket in such conditions, and it proved correct today too. This fine Brown Trout was the best fish of the day, alltough a 15" Brookies came off the hook right at the net shortly after he was caught. Would've been the best Brookie I've ever caught on this stream. But now that I know he's there, I'll be back to catch him another day.
UserPostedImage

For some reason, I was getting a lot of swipes, short hook ups, and general refusals in the murky water. It seemed like there was some hesitation to commit for some reason. I tried various other streamers, but the black Woolly Bugger was the only thing that was getting results. Caught three or four this size and a couple smallish, but energetic Brookies.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I was hoping the water would clear a bit and the fishing would pick up as the sun got lower, but it was just hit and miss most of the afternoon. Must've had at least five misses in this stretch. Frustrating.
UserPostedImage

The stream side grass was knee to waist high already in some places, making walking the banks dangerous in the fading light. A couple more weeks and the it will strictly pasture fishing time again. A familiar buzzing sound near my ears told me mosquitoes were making their first appearance of the year as the sun crept below the hills.
UserPostedImage

Not a bad day overall. More hours driving than fishing, but that's the way it goes. About 15 Trout in the net with a couple of quality fish. Sure would've loved to have netted that 15" Brookie though.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/27/2019(UTC), hougie on 6/3/2019(UTC)
madguy30  
#780 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 2:12:44 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
One year when the water was cloudy like that I plucked trout out like creek chubs on orange scuds.

Trout streams may need to be the ticket for me this summer since the rivers will likely not be in very good wading condition and the Madison Lakes' algae bloom is just around the corner.