Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 6:09:12 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 111 post(s)
With the crappy winter weather, it's video watching time. Here's a terrific YouTube entry of a father and a son fishing the lakes and rivers of Canada's Algonquin Park in Ontario.

Skip ahead a bit to see them catching monster five pound plus Brookies!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 6:39:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Looks fun.

I'm going to Ontario this summer and near our camp are a number of small lakes/ponds that are kayak accessible and have Nip strain brookies in them. Apparently, brookies up to 7 or 8 pounds have been caught on rare occasions although most of the caught trout tend to be 10-12 inches.

No matter. I will definitely be hitting these and will be up there a week, so will have plenty of time and opportunities.

There's also one small one that has splake in it not to mention the little ones that hold smallies and northern.

I went through my tackle already and am ready to go - only a bunch of months to wait. Laugh
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:14:39 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I’ve seen this guy’s stuff before. Seems they go in and crush it, wayyyy back in the park, every single spring. I’d rather make it harder for myself though. Hoping to paddle/float/shoot 100 miles of the Albany River in 2021.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 3:42:32 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I may have read an article about this guy, who described the agony of paddling, portaging, and bushwacking his way into areas essentially untouched by humans, all in search of massive brookies,
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 6:57:53 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

While I'm not going to places like this guy does, I have a feeling that most that go to central Ontario where I am headed wouldn't bother with the small brookie lakes that I'm going to hit nor would most have a kayak along to access them.

Would think that they are relatively unpressured up in walleye/bass/musky country.

Either way... can't wait.

Hope I can figure out how to get them to bite. I don't know if I've ever caught a trout in still water.

I'll have PMs along as well as spoons and streamer combos etc, etc, etc...

And as always... want to get one on a popper! Flapper Laugh

No... seriously.

Top water brookies!

weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 7:52:17 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I'm from Oregon, and most of the lakes there have trout, so I have some experience. These methods might not appeal to you, but here goes:
1 My most successful method was to put on an egg weight ahead of a snap swivel and maybe a bead, then about 30" of leader attached to a Flatfish. Gold, silver, frog, red with black dots, they all work. Then slowly troll up and down the lake. I used to do this in my canoe, where my lack of ability to keep going in exactly the same direction probably helped strikes, as the flatfish would go faster, slower, left, and right, at the same time going up and down as my speed changed. In my misspent youth, I'd usually have a beer locked between my feet and a joint between my teeth, both excellent at encouraging erratic behavior.
2 I've also had good success using a small spoon, same colors.
3 The most popular method was to use a gang troll (Ford Fender, etc) fished deep with one of the items above at the end. I never much liked pulling so much weight around, as it didn't help the fight. But it does work. Panther Martin makes one called a High Lake Troll.
4 Lastly, jigging a spoon, spinner, or nymph was great when you could find holes where they were in numbers.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 8:30:08 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Not really my style to drag something around, but it's even less my style to get shutout.

PM has those high lake troll thingies on clearance and I'll probably grab one or two.

Any thoughts on size? I don't know the depth of these places but I'm not targeting lakers, so I'd guess that the brookies would only be so deep.

The available sizes are 6/8 oz, 1.5 oz and 2.2 oz.

Then I assume that you attach something else to the end of the train?
chiflyguy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:16:03 AM(UTC)
chiflyguy

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Gurth,where in Ontario?
I went far enough north 3 years ago and saw a caribou.

Google Mike Borger FOIA. Someone actually filed a request to find the exact lake he caught those huge brook trout on. Talked to him on the phone a couple of times. Nice guy.
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 4:06:42 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Not far north. East of Dryden about an hour. I think the plan for next year is a fly-in where caribou are known to swim by in the lake we'll be on.

I think I heard about that guy and maybe people getting the coordinates from the GPS from his cell phone photos?

It was someone in Ontario that was getting giant brookies.

PSA - turn off your GPS settings if you take fish photos with your phone!

I'm not worried about scouring Ontario for that guy's fish or any others. As always... I'll just catch what is in the water I'm on.

I absolutely cannot wait to have a small Canadian lake all to myself and my kayak. Will be glorious!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:38:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 11:01:33 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Not far north. East of Dryden about an hour. I think the plan for next year is a fly-in where caribou are known to swim by in the lake we'll be on. Laugh

I think I heard about that guy and maybe people getting the coordinates from the GPS from his cell phone photos?

It was someone in Ontario that was getting giant brookies.

PSA - turn off your GPS settings if you take fish photos with your phone!

I'm not worried about scouring Ontario for that guy's fish or any others. As always... I'll just catch what is in the water I'm on.

I absolutely cannot wait to have a small Canadian lake all to myself and my kayak. Will be glorious!

This guy also fished a remote lake north of Terrace Bay for giant wild Brookies. He put too much into his blog post and I managed to find it😂😂

At least I think I found it. The big Brookie thing is honestly becoming a sickness. But they’re so damn awesome!

Gurth, you should find some fish. If the water is warm, slow down and Lindy rig a whole nightcrawler through any deep holes or drop offs.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."