Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vilas15  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:12:02 PM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

Does anyone bobber fish artificials in small streams? In my limited experience I throw spinners but thought this might be something different to slow down a bit and get baits in the strike zone longer. I'm thinking maybe a clear float like this with a crappie jig or some small plastic a foot or two below it. I've got plenty of ice fishing jigs, will trout go for them even in all the crazy bright colors?
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:50:13 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I use crappie type jigs a lot, they work quite well in winter, but skip the float and just bounce it along the bottom. Marabou jigs are fantastic for sluggish trout in cold water, but I find the dancing/stripping action in the key, I'd bet it's less effective to just drift it under a bobber.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
JGF  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:57:32 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I know when I lived in West "By God" Virginia, a lot of folks used Trout Magnets under bobbers/floats. Mostly fishing for stockers but I'm not sure how much that matters.

https://troutmagnet.com/trout-magnet.html
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:08:44 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JGF Go to Quoted Post
I know when I lived in West "By God" Virginia, a lot of folks used Trout Magnets under bobbers/floats. Mostly fishing for stockers but I'm not sure how much that matters.

https://troutmagnet.com/trout-magnet.html

Ha!

I have those and I bought em as crappie jigs.

I agree with the need for a horizontal presentation though and have been scheming on using these (below) along undercuts when the trout won’t come out for a PM…

UserPostedImage

The jig head is the key or more importantly, where the eyelet is so that the tail presents horizontally.

These are killer for crappie through the ice and I’m thinking they might work for trout if I can figure out a way to deliver them.

OP… I bought these a few years ago to try exactly what you are talking about:

UserPostedImage

Have never really given them a fair shot as I always go right back to a PM.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:53:56 AM(UTC)
shebs

The biggest winter fish I ever caught was on a jighead with a gulp minnow like that. Came out from under a cut and smashed it after ignoring spinners 3 or 4 times.
Beware what you're using in WI, a lot of the powerbait/gulp baits are considered live bait, and thus not legal for WI early season.
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:58:17 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Ooh! Good point.

These are “donkey sauce infused” lol.

I only like them for the shape and tail action and don’t generally use scented tails.

That would be the first time that I run into a warden of course.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 5:45:58 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have seen the small jig under a bobber work in Driftless streams. One of my son's friends went with us a few times and that is what he would use. He'd hang a tiny jig about 18" under a clear bobber. He caught fish but he was also snagged up a lot. That was more likely to him being a young kid at the time.

The jig and bobber technique was one of my favorite ways to catch crappies on the prairie ponds where I grew up in South Dakota. Let the jig hang a couple feet under and then bring it in slowly. So fun to see that bobber disappear.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:51:15 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Jigs don’t have to be a strictly winter thing. I started using 1/8 ounce pink/white Mr. Twisters last fall, and they’ve become a great addition to my repertoire, through the summer and all. They seem to be very effective on slow days. I either let it slowly fall on a tight line and crawl it back, or I slowly retrieve it just above bottom, with a twitch every 5-10 seconds.

There’s a jig company out of Terrace Bay, Ontario called Mighty Mitch and Jungle Joe’s Jigflies. These baits are absolutely fantastic on Salmon in the 1/3-1/2 ounce variety, and I’m going to start testing out their smaller jigs for big Brookies this summer. They’re fantastic and outfished live bait/yarn flies for Chinook and Coho this fall.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
shebs  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:41:52 PM(UTC)
shebs

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Ooh! Good point.

These are “donkey sauce infused” lol.

I only like them for the shape and tail action and don’t generally use scented tails.

That would be the first time that I run into a warden of course.

Yeahhh I don't know what donkey sauce is LOL, but if it's animal product, it counts as bait. I learned this because I made the mistake of asking my local warden, not cuz I got caught using them. The places I go I rarely see anyone, let alone a warden haha

Edited by user Friday, February 1, 2019 12:22:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:53:38 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 53 post(s)
I have been dressing spinners with mini tubes for a full season. Trout love 'em. And donkey sauce is probably not safe for human consumption! Hahaha